j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just might have to think about getting some of those Pitcher plants Colleen. I can look for them at Lowes and H-Depot around here. I think they are so cool looking! Somehow I am gonna have to figure out a way to get that darn grass outta that Sweet Flag cuz it is going to bug me forever if I don't!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you have grass in your plants in your pond, JW, just try pulling them from the middle of the plant. I found I had some grass that I got when I dug up some wild reed in the creek near my home. I pulled it form the middle, and it came up root and all. This time of year it's not as hard to pull out, but if you wait another month, the roots will have grown deep, and then you are "SOL". :)
I have Sweet Flag, it must be dwarf. I have had it 3 years now, or this is the 3rd year, and it has not grown at all! I have never crushed it between my fingers, so will do that! Maybe that will give me some satisfaction for it. It's a pretty yellow and green varigated, but just won't grow. have it in the bog, about 1" of water, down in the pea gravel. Wonder if it needs more fertilizer or something.
Got a cute find this past weekend, must take pics of it, now that my camera will turn on (just won't zoom, darn it). It is a "mini" cattail, and has just that, 1" cattails, although it looks more like a reed (round stems) rather an cattails flat stems. Hoping it will multiply so I can share it. Supposed to be hardy for my area, probably up to 5 or so.
EH, your pond is unbelievable! Wow, it looks like it goes around the corner, under that little bridge. Wow, I'd love to see an aerial of your yard, so see how it's situated, Love the waterfall, the way it separates around the rocks at the bottom, what a neat idea. And your plants are gorgeous as well. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Cactus flowers :)

DSCN3799_zps5b2f9c5a.jpg

DSCN3801_zps9a3a8d30.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Day Lilies

Attachments

• DSC04317.JPG
    DSC04317.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC04316.JPG
    DSC04316.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC04315.JPG
    DSC04315.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC04314.JPG
    DSC04314.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC04313.JPG
    DSC04313.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC04311.JPG
    DSC04311.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC04413.JPG
    DSC04413.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC04383.JPG
    DSC04383.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC04384.JPG
    DSC04384.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04385.JPG
    DSC04385.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC04435.JPG
    DSC04435.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC04440.JPG
    DSC04440.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Man, you have a lot of different colored day lilies, Larkin, and Pecan, what gorgeous cactus flowers!!!
Here are the mini cattails that I scored on this past weekend. Anyone ever seen these before? The cattails are about 1-1.5" tall each, and there were so many, I was impressed with the number of "flowers" on the plants. Hoping they will multiply this year for me, to spread them out and share next year or so!

Mini cattails.JPGMini cattails 2.JPG

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, some of the better flowers or should I say some of the more selective colors still haven't bloomed. One in particular I'm waiting on is a raisin eye. When we saw it at the garden show it was a must buy for the collection. I'm estimating I have about 30 different colors/types so far. wish I had the names to most of them but a lot I have picked up in trades or in lot bunches and didn't know what they would turn out looking like until they bloomed. I got a start of dwarf cattail last fall. ( I thought I got it from you) it's growing but ever so slowly. No flowers just green growth. Hoping it will take off now that the weather has warmed up and spread at least enough to feel comfortable it will get a good start before the fall this year. I like the looks of yours. neat dwarf!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, when I went to the garden center this past Sunday, and bought the "mini", the ones that look exactly like my "dwarf varigated cattail" now have a label on them simply "varigated cattail". I just know that the cattail itself on the ones I have is small, maybe 4" long, although I've only had one so far. Hoping to have pics of more this year! I keep separating and moving them and getting rid of new shoots, so maybe they never get a chance to "bloom". Anyhow, the new plant is a "mini", and they had some others that were very similar, with the round stems, taller than my mini, and called it a "dwarf cattail". WTH!!! Oh well, I love the green and white, it's very striking. I can't believe yours is just now taking off, Larkin, as you have far warmer temps in LA than I do here in IL. Good luck with it! Mine, when I plop one in the bog one year, the next year it has created at least 4-8 new ones. That's why I've given away so darn many. Still have far more than I would like to have!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE, Cattails will not grow as well in lousiana as it does not freeze, and they like to freeze, otherwise they may not get a cat-kin on top. I read that in my water garden book years ago.... my guess is that Larkins cattail will slowly die off if the weather is not cold enough in the winter.... the bulbs might rot over the warm winter too. Plus if it does not freeze the cattails will not get a proper rest period and may further weaken.... sorry about that bad news Larkin, but your cattail may still grow, but you just won't have lots like CE.

I got some nice pictures of my spring bulbs blooming away in the front yard ...

Attachments

• IMAG8456.jpg
    IMAG8456.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG8453.jpg
    IMAG8453.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG8457.jpg
    IMAG8457.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG8459.jpg
    IMAG8459.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was just trimming some ivy on the front of our house and found these precious babies hidden in there. I did not get within a foot of the nest and stopped trimming as soon as I saw it. I hope momma comes back.

DSCN3839_zps08847e2b.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awww ... so cute, Pecan. She will come back. It's usually a myth that a mother bird will not touch it's baby if a human has handled it. Good thing to keep kids away, but when a baby falls out of a nest, I put it back, and mom and dad always continue to take care of them.
Mrs. Clem, I have to ask what you paid for those beautiful scrubbies. I used the green ones, more like a sponge type, but love your idea and I think those will have more surface area and easier to rinse out if necessary. Where did you get them, too? I waited until the green ones were on sale for 99 cents for 10 of them, they were CHEAP! I think now they are $4.99 for the same pack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Finally got to see my lilies in full open blooms. They tend to fully open AFTER I leave for work, and close up BEFORE I get home.
Here's one of the Georgia peach blooms ... looks more pink, but it's truly peach.
Georgia Peach.JPG
and, a pink one ...
Pink lily.JPG
And I just realized that my "lake lily" I found 2 summers ago, didn't bloom last summer, is likely a lotus, and if the outer petals tell the color, a yellow one at that!!!! I want a yellow lily, and I think I have one from Larkin, but this will be icing on the cake if it's a lotus.
Lotus I think.JPG

Reaction score
You are killing me!!! I have been staring at one of YOUR lily buds for days!!! The bud is now half out of the water, so I am HOPING for tomorrow ... YOUR iris will hopefully bloom in the next day or two as well ... that has now been teasing me for about a week LOL.

Ask a Question