Share Spring Photos Here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, my, Rebel, I was looking for a tadpole but that was the full grown adult! Great news. My sister in AZ is super excited as she has been hearing leopard frogs every night. Said she bought leopard frog tadpoles last year, then they disappeared. This spring she bought some more, and has been watching them. Then heard the frogs singing, and figured this year's taddies matured. I told her I bet it was one of the ones from last year, they are good hiders!
I, sadly, found two more bullfrogs under the edge rocks dead. I think they crawled under there for the winter, and with the freezing and thawing, the rocks moved and smooshed them. That's 4 that I've found on that same ledge dead and had to move the rocks to dislodge them. Yucky, they are stinky. Glad I found them though before the fish did. Hoping the temps get up to close to 60 like they predicted, maybe get to take a video or two of my fish, if they venture up closer to the surface. I hate I cannot take a clear pic of them on the bottom. I can see them so clearly, but the camera can't. Is there a setting I can use for that? My camera allows me to do manual corrections, but I'd have to mess with it to figure out how to change it. I think is anyone knows how to tell me the correct setting for clearer underwater pics, I can figure it out. But, I think cameras see more under the water than our eyes do, thus the blurry pics.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of frog that is in my picture CE. They sure sound nice at night tho singing away! The only time I can get pix of my fish are when they are on the surface. My camera is nothing fancy,just a Canon digital point and shoot,no fancy settings. Sorry about the dead frogs :sad:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Event Horizon said:
It's so nice to see these spring pictures, it does give hope.
I have to agree. I have a few bulbs blooming but that is it, everything else still looks dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have hyacinths that are just beginning to bloom, daffodils buds that seem to be past the point of bursting, and tulips that are just above the ground. VERY late spring here, but sooner or later they will all open up and then I will post some pretty flower pics ... that is if the snows will stay away and the temps will warm up for goodness sake!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some pictures I just took today. Most everything is now showing growth :)

DSCN3547_zpsbe1103b8.jpg

DSCN3551_zpsa3238149.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE if you go take pictures later in the day, or when the sun is shining just right, hold the camera at the perfect angle, you may get a good shot. I found that sometimes I can't get the picture cause of glare or something, try twenty minutes later, the sun will move and sometimes then you can get a good picture. also try holding the camera directly above the fish and angled down, see if that works. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wait til you see what I did tonight!!!! I caught the 10 goldfish that were still in the koi pond. I'm soooooo excited!!! I got a good pic of them in the bucket, will post it on my "The Pond Dig Has Begun" thread. I tried several settings, Colleen, in the dark, under a light, sport mode, auto mode, and macro mode. Then turned on the flash and voila! This has made my day ... or month!
Pecan, your pond is really growing well, soon you will have lilies blooming in your pond. Impressive!! Thanks for sharing your pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great, Andy! Since you are quite a ways south of me, and much warmer, I'll be watching mine for some growth in the coming weeks. I did look at it closely yesterday, nothing yet, but have kept all plants away from it. You sure can tell where it is in my bog ... it's the only place that is totally cleared away. LOL Waiting patiently ....
BTW, I have a LOT of dead stuff in my bog, mostly the water clover. I wonder if I should gently gather and toss most of it, or if the new growth will come from what is laying there brown?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog water clover, did not do well, I just have it in the pond now. Take some scissors or clippers and cut it off close to the roots, let it regrow if it will. Mine did not come back after winter, but the pond water clover did.

I usually aggressively yank and toss dead stuff from the bog before it really takes off, most of the stuff comes back from the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy. I noticed the water parsley/celery is coming back on the branches that are still there, so wasn't sure about the clover. The clover, though, is on a more hollow stem, all dead and brown, whereas the parsley/celery is on a firmer branch. Still trying to figure out how to pull out a lot of the dwarf cattails to give away. They are going to be a bugger, but I want to make sure each one is growing before I pull them to give away. So far about 1/4 of them have some growth, so it will be soon, maybe this weekend. Lilies are barely showing any growth, and the ones that were out of the water for about a day to day and a half due to water line break in the koi pond, are not doing as well as the others, so I'm afraid they may have frozen that night, although I seem to recall it did not get below freezing, or not much. We shall see if they come back. Sissy seemed to think as long as they were wet and moist (they were) they would recover. Time will tell.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one lily that has been barely in water, may have froze a little, in the leaking preform, all winter, with the pond freezing over. It is showing growth, give them some time, might come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great growth there, Colleen, and I love that koi in the pics, the one with white/black/red on it! I just wish I had more tri-colored ones in my pond, but need some diversity. I think I have maybe 6 that are all 3 colors, then some of all the other colors. And, of all the color patterns I like the LEAST, wouldn't you know that 3 of my 4 koi babies are showing that pattern? Grr .... already have 3 in the pond that are that color pattern, and 2 I took out of koi pond put in the goldfish pond. We shall see, maybe they will change colors as they grow.

Ask a Question