Share Spring Photos Here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have heard about killdear before but never seen one. They really don't put much effort into the nest do they? "a couple sticks here, a couple sticks there, yep that'll do" :LOL:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What's amazing is how fast they come and go. They build the nest and lay the eggs in a single day. Then once the eggs hatch they will watch the babies for about a week, and then off to the weeds they will go. We don't get to see the babies as much as the actual nesting. They will do this two or three times during the year. What's funny is once you get to know them, you can find their new nests in no time. walk across the yard and one starts flopping around like it's hurt start looking for eggs or babies. They only put on the act long enough to get you away from the eggs. Lot of fun watching them, Oh and they have a cool way of telling you to get back. Not only do they put on the show of being hurt, they get very vocal and up in your face if you stay around for a few minutes.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Look!!! I got some green shoots already in the pond today!! :)

Attachments

• IMAG5919.jpg
    IMAG5919.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMAG5942.jpg
    IMAG5942.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG5948.jpg
    IMAG5948.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 248

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Colleen, I have set here and looked at that last pic for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to type. Please don't tell me any ex-boy friends or Husbands disappeared during the winter. Or did it start snowing before the Halloween Deco got put away? I've got a steer skull by my pond, But a human skull? In the dead grass. Please tell us, There has to be a story behind that! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Lots of things turning green around here, too, but then that stupid snow Sun and Mon. I looked over the tulips, daffodils (which were getting ready to bloom, but no flowers opened yet), hyacinths, bleeding heart (which had just noticed it up a week ago!), and other plants. They all seem to be none the worse for the snow being on them. Maybe because the snow came after a 50+ degree day, and it insulated the plants from the winds and colder temps that hit us after the snows. Now going to have 50's for about a week, so MAYBE I will have some flowers to show soon ...... :razz: :goldfish: :yellowbounce: :blueflower:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This morning the spring crocas were blooming nice by the pond. Can you believe last week the bottom pond was froze and ice was half covering the top two ponds as well? You can sure tell spring is in the air, sun is so bright, fish look so colorful and every day I got to go outside to see what spring has sprung today! :)

Attachments

• IMAG5976.jpg
    IMAG5976.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG5979.jpg
    IMAG5979.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 238
  • IMAG5973.jpg
    IMAG5973.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG5982.jpg
    IMAG5982.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 238

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I can believe it Colleen cuz I've seen it in your pix! Lots of green coming up here now too and more on the way w/ the nice temps headed our way :highfive:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It got over 50 today, higher than they forecast, so I'm hoping this coming weekend will be more of the same. Got home just before sun down (6:45) and it was still 50 outside! I'm loving it. I noticed the tulips are doing fine, except one color, which didn't come up as well, but the rest of them came up. Will be a while before they bloom. Hyacinths have buds above ground level now, so will be blooming soon, maybe on Easter. Daffodils are refusing to open up yet, too, but this warm spell will push lots of flowers to open up, I'm sure! Finally .... but will it last???

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found some Spring here today. The frog you see is really a frog on a frog doing the nasty :LOL:
I hope it leads to laying eggs and tad babies on the way. This is all happening in my bath tub pond. And the first hummingbird came to my feeder and fish are all excited about the big round yellow glowing ball in the sky :blueflower:

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Beautiful pics, JW!!!! Love the frog, is it a leopard? I would guess you will have quite a few tadpoles now. Good luck, especially since they are in your small tub, away from the hungry fish at least for now. I'm hoping to hear the spring peeper frogs this weekend, as the temps climb for more than one day in the row. Have had above 50 for 2 days so far, and they are predicting weekend even warmer. Come on frogs! Wish I could get such clear pics of my fish, JW. All of mine are staying at the bottom still, so will have to be patient until they come to the top for clear pics. Yours are so vibrant. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got the pond up and running and found out where our one tadpole from last year spent his winter...under a rock I had in the pond and I found him when I went to pick up what I thought were wet yucky leaves but ohhhhh nooooo what I grabbed was squishy, wet and moved!!! Look smack dab in the middle of the picture by the plastic I had stuffed in the hose. As for my fish I'll wait another week I think before I bring them back out to the pond and put up the netting over it! Then I had many go rounds with the squirrel who figured out I filled the birdfeeder!!! Productive day!

Attachments

• P3270623.JPG
    P3270623.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 275
  • P3280637.JPG
    P3280637.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 256

Ask a Question