Should I replace my cyclone/barrel style filter with something else or just remove it entirely?

Reaction score
When I first built my pond (2011), the cyclone/barrel filters (can't remember what they were actually called) were all the rage. It has worked quite well but at the same time always seems to be the source of most problems (freezing over in the winter, the filter media shifting around and blocking outlets, causing overflow, etc). The gaskets finally failed and i started the process of disassembling to replace and make some other adjustments and i came to the realization that I'm done with it. So i took it out entirely and now there's just a gaping opening between my pump house and the waterfall skimmer.

For the time being i just connected the pump directly to one of the inlets to the waterfall skimmer as i debate what to do.

What do you think? Do i need to replace it?

Pond is about 4000 gallons. Bottom drain feeding a pretty large Ez Pro skimmer (with filter media), pump feeds a giant waterfall skimmer. I've never really had many dirtiness problems that weren't related to other things i needed to fix/balance.

Attached pics show the situation just before i removed the barrel today. Ignore the mess and dirty ass pond.

1000002900.jpg
1000002899.jpg
1000002898.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Speaking generally as I am not real familiar with what you have left. What percentage of your filtration would you be giving up? Usually better to have too much than just enough.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Feel like digging a bog? That would really help you in the long run w/filtering. Wish I would have built one but alas I did not so I fight w/the filters also.

Reaction score
Feel like digging a bog? That would really help you in the long run w/filtering. Wish I would have built one but alas I did not so I fight w/the filters also.

Interestingly, I did dig a bog for overflow (not visible in the photos), but not filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love my bog because it's so simple - and it really does work. No filters to clean and I can experiment with all sorts of plants. I split the pump line between the bog and the waterfall and it couldn't be simpler.

Reaction score
Also, does it matter where the bog is in the chain?

Maybe I'll look into converting my upper pond into a bog (it's between the waterfall and the main pond. Pic attached)

Attachments

• PXL_20240422_214552676.jpg
    PXL_20240422_214552676.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
After reading a bit about the traditional bog setup (pumped piped to bottom of the bog, etc), my current configuration won't quote work. But now I'm wondering how necessary the pipe setup is. Presumably it's so the water filters upward through the pea gravel.

i may try a variation of this concept by just adding pea gravel and plants to my upper pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, I believe the magic lies in the slow movement of the low volume of water from beneath the gravel to the top. And of course then the plants gradually absorb the nutrients through their roots.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I think i've figured out a plan.

Currently, with the vortex (that's what it was called!) barrel removed, the pump just goes directly to the aquafalls waterfall, which has two inlets. previously, i just had two tubes from the vortex barrel connected to those inlets. Right now in its temporary arrangement i just have one direct line from the pump to one of those inlets, and even with the pump closed off about 50% that is plenty of flow for the waterfall.

So what i'm thinking of doing is just splitting the output of the pump with one line connected to the waterfall (as it currently is) and a second line sneaking into the small upper pond (which is what the waterfall dumps into). I'll throw a valve in this second line so i can adjust the flow to be less than the amount going to the waterfall, if need be. Should be really simple to convert that upper pond to a bog. It will receive water both from the waterfall and that second line (which i'll perforate, arrange along the bottom, cover in pea gravel, etc.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think i've figured out a plan.

Currently, with the vortex (that's what it was called!) barrel removed, the pump just goes directly to the aquafalls waterfall, which has two inlets. previously, i just had two tubes from the vortex barrel connected to those inlets. Right now in its temporary arrangement i just have one direct line from the pump to one of those inlets, and even with the pump closed off about 50% that is plenty of flow for the waterfall.

So what i'm thinking of doing is just splitting the output of the pump with one line connected to the waterfall (as it currently is) and a second line sneaking into the small upper pond (which is what the waterfall dumps into). I'll throw a valve in this second line so i can adjust the flow to be less than the amount going to the waterfall, if need be. Should be really simple to convert that upper pond to a bog. It will receive water both from the waterfall and that second line (which i'll perforate, arrange along the bottom, cover in pea gravel, etc.)
Sounds like you have a good plan -- as long as you reduce the flow enough to the "bog" so it can do it's magic and then fill that rascal up with plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Adding a large biological filter is what's missing with a skimmer and a bio falls. The both have a means or removable filter so you can pull out heavy debris.

The bog sounds like the answer to your set up.
Now the bog can be placed at the waterfall at the head or in the middle . But by far it is the most energy efficient when it is where your water starts..

So the skimmer at the end pulls in water from the pond as does the bottom drain. Now the bottom drain should go to a strainer basket at the pump at a minimum.
Then pump your water to the bottom of the bog . Your bio falls or circulating jets. Here's a latest video I made with a little underwater view where IT SHOWS THE CLARITY WITH A BOG

Ask a Question