Shutting system down for winter.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. I just checked the water temp and surprisingly it was 60 deg. It has been kinda warm the past few days but expect to get a lot cooler next week. I;ll keep system running even after the feeding has stopped when water gets and maintains 50 deg. I'll shut it down just before the freezing temps are the norm. I just didn;t want to have to work taking the filter apart and cleaning it along with the bio filter and waterfall as well as blowing out the lines etc - all that fun stuff while having to wear gloves and shivering. I know - what a whimp.

Reaction score
Hi Sissy: I know what you are talking about with the Buffalo type weather. I am, located as well 25 miles from Canadian border in upstate ny. I'm running an Aquadine filter and have 1 1/2 flexible pvc running from filter under ground to back of bio filter at waterfall. I have to disconnect all the lines going to and from pump and filter and blow the lines out and cap them. I always have to keep my water hose connected at back of house to wash and clean up the waterfall and bio filter as well as cleaning the Aquadine filter and the beads before connecting them back up and leaving for winter. So it is a fine line as to when to do all this. The pond heater I use is a good one as well and keeps an area about 3 or 4'diameter open while the rest of the pond freezes solid where I could skate on it. So far so good as I haven't lost a fish for the past three yrs since I've had pond. As for pictures - I have tried to transfer pictures I have of the pond from my files to upload to this site but to no avail. I have tried all the tips that some have mentioned but with no luck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wonder why your pics do not upload because they have made it a lot easier to upload .I can understand that Canadian air and can they please keep it up there LOL .You are lucky then that the pond heater is doing it's job well and it is really worth the expense then .Aerators will not keep a big hole open unless the airline is close to the top of the water or you have a large aereator ,Last year I tried that and ice formed around the air hose and pinched it closed and burned out the aerator .I guess I should not have clamped the air hose to the aerator but thats what it said to do so I did ,big mistake that was .I bought a new aerator this past spring and sure not trying that again .It looks like you have some expensive equipment so don't blame you for not taking any chances .My pumps are all cheapy harbor freight pumps 22 dollars to 30 dollars each .I have had some of them for over 8 years so for me they work .940 gph and 1268 gph and last year the 940 gph burned out and I had the 5 dollar warranty so they replaced it no questions asked .I actually gave my neighbor one of mine that is 6 years old and they love it .There's burned out and it was a tetra one I think

Reaction score
Sissy: I'm going to pick up a 3 lb bad of the Tetra Spring & Fall Diet Sticks today. If I understand right - you only feed them this when the water gets belor 50 deg and down to 40 deg - is that right or should i start them on that now with the water temp around 55 to 60 deg? I'll try again to upload photos as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I start mine when my water temp gets around 55 this way they get used to it and I start with feeding the 4 times a week and then drop it down to twice a week because they stay near the bottom of the pond I do not want to leave food floating around that could cause problems with the water ..I always scoop uneaten food out .I buy my food at pet mountain .com when they put it on sale

Reaction score
Hi Sissy: I think I finally got to upload some photos of my pond and some of the fish. It appears they simplify the system on that which is great. I hope they come. Bob

Attachments

• 100_0009.JPG
    100_0009.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_0069.JPG
    100_0069.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0070.JPG
    100_0070.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_0071.JPG
    100_0071.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 247

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow thats some nice looking pond and waterfall you have there .But what is the square thing in there .You really have a lot of healthy looking fish too .I really like the shape and I guess it is by your deck where you can really enjoy it .How many fish did you start with

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat looking pond/waterfall/fish! I see your pix posting loud and clear. I've been feeding mine the same fall food as sissy but I just have the goldfish so I buy the floating pellet type not the sticks. Hey sissy when does that food usually go on sale at Pet Mountain? If you ever see it on sale let me know. I've been buying mine at Big Als and would like to compare prices.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the summer food went onsale last year in January and the spring and fall went onsale in july but I got on both of there e-mail lists so I could get e-mails to compare prices .I know pet mountain just sent me a 5 dollar off coupon and free shipping on 49 dollars

Reaction score
Thanks: We had one of those Sam Club specials - the black formed tub like and had a few fish in in for one season with a small pump and was not fun to keep up. My brother decided to tackle the enormous task to building a fish pond - which was his first time and his last time he would do that again. Anyway after a lot of fine tuning and a few different filters and pumps, I think I have it running pretty much the right way. We started with 13 small (feeder) goldfish from Pet Smart 3 years ago and only added two Shubumkins (one of them is in the photo that looks like and we call her 'Ladybug'. Needless to say they have multiplied and grown as well. I tried to count them recently and of course they wouldn;'t stay stil for the offical counting but I think I counted about 50 to 60 of them all different sizes and colors now.
The tower in the middle is actually concrete blocks(coated) about 3' square and about a foot higher then the water lever. That is where the water intake is on the bottom 1 1/2" flexible pvc under ground to the pump and filter. On the sides of the tower there are cut outs (vent like) port holes where the pond water goes through and nothing else. I put a decorative cement patio looking block on the top of it to dress it up. It comes in handy if I need to walk out in middle and just have to lay a plank down from deck to there.

Reaction score
Thanks I Love My Goldies: Why would it make a difference in feeding the Sticks vs the pellets for either the goldfish or the Koi? I Only have the goldfish and the two Shubumkins. Would I be better to use the sticks or the pellets? thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started with a preform and there is a koi farm in NC where I bought my first fish from Aggie and Bert and that was now over 8 years ago but if I had to do it over again I would not get koi .Well you need to train your fish better so you can count them LOL .For a start it looks like you really thought about what you were doing .I made so many mistakes at first that I wanted to give up .

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I was really discouraged trying to keep the pond clear trying all kinds of different solutions to the algea problem and green water not to mention the smelly slimy mess in the bio filter and water fall area. I had a sand filter the first two and that was a really bad choice - constantly backwashing and cleaning and dumping old sand and replacing with new etc. I finally broke down and invested in the Aquadine Bead filter with the Blower attatchment and it really made all the difference in the world like night and day. The only draw back is that it is expensive but sure makes the difference in the trials and tribulations of the maintenance process.

Ask a Question