Shy Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, well no wonder they are hand feeding. That stuff must be like steak to us! So, your babies get the best, sounds like. Do you feed them other things, or is this their staple until they are large enough to eat pellets?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FIRST I RUN BRINE SHRIMP HATCHERIES AND FEED LIVE BRINE SHRIMP...THEN AT ABOUT 3 WEEKS OLD I SWITCH TO FREEZE DRIED...AND 45% PROTEIN MICRO PELLETS. BRINE SHRIMP ARE ABOUT 50% PROTEIN.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And, how many koi do you end up with raising and selling each year? You obviously keep your babies safe, probably remove the eggs after they are fertilized. Lots of work, and I applaud you! Bet it's worth your trouble, too.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i only keep a small number, usually under 100...this year ive sold about 35 -40,already and ive got about 20-25 left to sell..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are so tiny compared to your hand and it's hard to believe they get so big in just a few yrs. My tropical fish used to love those freeze dried brine shrimp. My clown loaches used to grab a cube and run to a log and hide in there and eat it all themselves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
i only keep a small number, usually under 100...this year ive sold about 35 -40,already and ive got about 20-25 left to sell..

You're already selling your baby koi? Sheesh! Mine haven't even begun to spawn yet! They're only just now starting to swim up in the shallows.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks koiguy I'm going to give me koi time to get used to us. I feel better hearing that it's normal. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
showdragon...those pics were from last year!!...NO..mine havent spawned this year yet ..not til June here!

OK, I was wondering!?! With the crazy warm weather, I wouldn't be surprised if mine started spawning within the month. Even if global warming isn't a good thing, I think our fish are enjoying the longer season (at least for those of us up North)...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I agree, Shdwdrgn. I saw my goldfish spawning a week or two ago already. Last year my pond filled in June, fish were spawning shortly after they were put in there, because it seemed like I had 3 batches, although more likely was just some that grew faster and others that didn't.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine don't appear to be chasing anymore, maybe they dropped their eggs. Don't see any around, but there is a lot of room to hide them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mine aren't chasing either, Addy, but I wonder if it's because it was 80 for both of us, and now it's more like 70 for highs. Maybe that little bit of difference is making them less amorous. LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
once they begin to actually spawn they dont stop for anything...they seem to be oblivious to what going on around them... its still early or most to be spawning, unless your down south. water temps, length of daylight, both play a roll.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We dropped to 17 while we were gone, a lot of the plants that started growing got frost burnt i.e. the new growth died. The pond dropped to the 50's again. It is 33 right now.

Ask a Question