Shy Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I just checked and my pond water temp this a.m. is 58. Supposed to be 78, 71, 84 today through Sunday. So, hoping to get my new pond far enough along that I can take Sunday to move the goldfish from koi pond. Maybe it will be warm enough to get in there. If not, I'll don my wetsuit. :) Those goldies need to be moved!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yes he is in my pond and boy were they croaking up a storm the other night. I couldn't believe how close he let me get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
He's neat. I've found that some of the bullfrogs and other frogs will jump as soon as they see me. Others will sit there and wait. I was looking at my flower and plants around my waterfall this evening, looked down into the pool, and there was a bullfrog. He wasn't 3' from me, just watching me. I talked to him, and then walked away. Others, when I walk on the deck, they hop into the pond. By the size I'm seeing, they are pretty large. Will have to see if I can identify the different ones this year, like I was able to last year. BUT, last year I think I only had 2 big boys/girls. I had a really friendly medium sized frog. Never did figure out if it was an immature bullfrog or some other type. He would sit and watch me mess around the rocks. I would be as close as 12" from him and he still would not jump. I think he liked me. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
humm ce give the lil guy a kiss, might be your prince!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeppers, I sure could use a prince. LOL But, I just hope he comes back this year. I'm really anxious to know whether Aris, my little red eared slider turtle, will come back. He was by far my favorite visitor. Just loved his antics all summer long. Not sure where he went, but he left while I was gone on vacation last year in the late summer if I recall, so hoping he went to hibernate, and maybe he will be back to swim with the koi again this year. He didn't show up until at least July, so may be a while before he "wakes up".
And, with our warm weather, it seems like certain things are holding out. Like the barn swallows. They always arrive when the weather warms up, but not yet. I think they may know something we don't. Same with the bugs. I know there are bugs (just look at my windshield!) but not many yet, and we have had warm enough weather for long enough for them to have arrived. I know someone mentioned the length of the days, and that may predict lots of these things, too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we have land turtles, see them off and on, it has been so dry have not seen them in about a year. Usually watch them crawl across the yard.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Speaking of tame frogs; I was walking through our garden last summer, and disturbing all the little crickets, which would jump madly off in all directions. Suddenly something hit the back of my leg... it was a leopard frog! He was following me around, getting the bugs I disturbed. The ones that landed on my jeans were easy to see, and he went for them several times in the course of five minutes or so.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty smart frogs! Hey those frogs might want to hire you to come back now and then John to stir up those bugs for them. They'd prolly be willing to share some of the wealth w/ ya! I hear crickets dipped in chocolate are quite tasty!

Chocolate Dipped Candied Ginger Crickets, makes 20 pieces

Ingredients:
  • 20 pieces crystallized ginger (available in the baking aisle)
  • 4 ounces high-quality dark chocolate
  • 20 dry roasted crickets
Directions:
Prepare a plate by lining it with waxed or parchment paper.
Break chocolate into small pieces in a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat for 30 seconds at 50 percent power, remove and stir, and place back in the microwave.
Continue cooking at 50 percent power in 10-second increments, stirring after each 10-second burst, until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted.
Dip the bottom half of each piece of crystallized ginger along with cricket placed alongside it in the dark chocolate and let the excess drip away.
Place dipped ginger with cricket attached on lined plate and allow the chocolate to set up.
Store in an airtight jar in a cool dry place.
Dip ginger/cricket combo into chocolate and allow the chocolate to set up.
Refrigerate till ready to serve.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
j.w.; I'll try that as soon as the crickets are arouind again! How do you dry-roast them?
And I'll send the first batch to you to try!!! :regular_waving_emot
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w.; I'll try that as soon as the crickets are arouind again! How do you dry-roast them?
And I'll send the first batch to you to try!!! :regular_waving_emot
John

And she needs to report to all of us with photo evidence!

Ask a Question