Sick koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did my water test this is the results.
Temp is 68
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
The one koi that was effected the most seems to be a little better. Still nose diving and occasionally laying on his side. I did not feed and didn't add the de chlorinator. Wanted to wait so see what everyone thought of my test results. Here is a couple pictures of the koi most effected.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did my water test this is the results. I... didn't add the de chlorinator. Wanted to wait so see what everyone thought of my test results.
I'm not an expert but I don't see any harm in using the de-chlorinator to be in the safe side. Do the testers measure chlorine?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Unfortunately no.

Those current water parameters are ok except you have to get the ammonia to zero with a good binder. There are many online. The koi could be a bit better because whatever was in the water ( chlorine ) , it would now be dissipated. I'd have to disagree and say it doesn't appear to be an oxygen problem. Get a kH test kit sold separately. If your kH is low, your pH can be fluctuating due to lack of a pH stabilizer. It can also crash. At 8.0, it hasn't yet. That combined with the .25ppm ammonia reading & chlorine in the added water can throw the little guy for a loop. A good ammonia binder that I've used for years in the beginning of the season when the pond is still building beneficial bacteria is Fritz Ammonia Remover. It's a great binder, The company doesn't sell direct anymore but I call and always have a gallon on hand. All you need is this 16oz size below from Amazon or any online pond supply.

http://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatic...0779730&sr=8-5&keywords=fritz+ammonia+remover

kH test is >>> http://www.amazon.com/API-Carbonate...d=1460780079&sr=1-2&keywords=kh+pond+test+kit

btw - kH stabilization is more important than your pH as long as you pH is in the 7.2 range and not above 8.5 ... It can be any of those numbers eternally as long as it's buffered and doesn't fluctuate!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
There should be zero ammonia in a healthy pond. Adding a neutralizer will lessen it's toxicity but not remove the reading.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The API Stress Coat says it gets rid of chlorine, chlorimines, and ammonia. Haven't tested the water yet this morning. I put it in last night. Hopefully it worked.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
It will neutralize not eliminate the ammonia and it's not a once and done dose either. If there is still ammonia being produced by fish or some other biological process then more will need to be added.. if you have dead leaves or any other detritus on the bottom then that needs to come out . If yiur filter hasn't been cleaned you can have the same problem. When yiu clean yiur filter do not use your treated city water as it will kill off any nitrifying bacteria that's on it. Use pond water and clean it as best you can in a separate container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It will neutralize not eliminate the ammonia and it's not a once and done dose either. If there is still ammonia being produced by fish or some other biological process then more will need to be added.. if you have dead leaves or any other detritus on the bottom then that needs to come out . If yiur filter hasn't been cleaned you can have the same problem. When yiu clean yiur filter do not use your treated city water as it will kill off any nitrifying bacteria that's on it. Use pond water and clean it as best you can in a separate container.
Could having put city water in the pond cause the ammonia spike? The water is crystal clear. I have only 2 small koi. I clean the filter every weekend. The fish were doing great until I added the water. And has gone down hill every since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I tested the water and this is the results.
Temp 62
Wide Range PH 7.0 to 7.5
Ammonia 0 to 0.25 (looks to still have some but not as much as the 0.25)
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
I've not done anything different to water other than putting in the API Stress Coat last night.
Koi is still nose diving and laying on side. I'm adding pictures of my little pond to see if you see something that may be causing the problem. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hobby grade test kits arent very accurate sometimes and that ammonia reading coukd be false. Ammonia poisoning usually shows up with fish gasping at the surface. Your water parameters look fine and I don't think it's anything yiu are testing for that is causing the nose down listless fish. Keep things going as is for now and leave your fikter alone for the next several weeks until it can build up nitrifying bacteria so the pond can cycle. No point in trying to feed the fish right now while they are nosediving. Fwiw yur set up is identical to what I had for 5 years. You can increase your biofilter by getting a bag of lava rock and adding it to your small external pond. Wash the lava rock out very well to get all the red dust and dye they put on them off first. Keep in mind that small koi like yours can be very frail,I lost several garden shop koi and comets til I got my little pond to settle in. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hobby grade test kits arent very accurate sometimes and that ammonia reading coukd be false. Ammonia poisoning usually shows up with fish gasping at the surface. Your water parameters look fine and I don't think it's anything yiu are testing for that is causing the nose down listless fish. Keep things going as is for now and leave your fikter alone for the next several weeks until it can build up nitrifying bacteria so the pond can cycle. No point in trying to feed the fish right now while they are nosediving. Fwiw yur set up is identical to what I had for 5 years. You can increase your biofilter by getting a bag of lava rock and adding it to your small external pond. Wash the lava rock out very well to get all the red dust and dye they put on them off first. Keep in mind that small koi like yours can be very frail,I lost several garden shop koi and comets til I got my little pond to settle in. Good luck.
Thank you for all of your help. This is why I wanted to start small so I could learn as I go and to make sure this is something that I would stay interested in before I invested time and money and decided it was more than I could handle. This is a lesson learned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Jodie could you please tell me if you cleaned both your filters and the bottom of the pond before winter which is a [must]?
In spring your koi can be suseptable to the Areomonas bacteria .
Coul;d you tell me please is there a reddening of the sides of your koi at this momemt in time as your photo's arent clear enough to tell ?
If they do have reddening it may well be what your koi are suffering with so you'll need a good bacteriacyde to combat it
Heres a little bit about the Areomonas bacteria for you to read up on :-

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2160&aid=3596

As you will see its main causes are as follows
1)Poor water quality
2)Parasitism
3)Nutritional deficiencies
4)A generally poor environment in the aquarium/pond

We can rule out your water quality but what about the next three

I hope it isnt but I hope this helps

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Jodie could you please tell me if you cleaned both your filters and the bottom of the pond before winter which is a [must]?
In spring your koi can be suseptable to the Areomonas bacteria .
Coul;d you tell me please is there a reddening of the sides of your koi at this momemt in time as your photo's arent clear enough to tell ?
If they do have reddening it may well be what your koi are suffering with so you'll need a good bacteriacyde to combat it
Heres a little bit about the Areomonas bacteria for you to read up on :-

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2160&aid=3596

I hope it isnt but I hope this helps

Dave
Hi Dave. Yes I cleaned out filters, cleaned all "gunk" out. They were doing great UNTIL…I added water to the pond. Every since then they've been sick. There's no reddening no nothing on them. Only thing I can figure out is the chlorine in the water that I used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave. Yes I cleaned out filters, cleaned all "gunk" out. They were doing great UNTIL…I added water to the pond. Every since then they've been sick. There's no reddening no nothing on them. Only thing I can figure out is the chlorine in the water that I used.
If your using a dechlorinator then you shouldnt have a problem with it , it may be there was a large miss match in the temperature of the water added to the pond giving them thermal shock but it may well be the start of a parasictic attack on your koi , this is the time of year for it as we come out of winter into spring weve had temeratures ranging from 9c to 14c and back again these last few weeks , with our covers on we are at 13.c water temperature wise , without them we would be at a lower pond temperature than we would the air temperature as it is at this moment in time

Dave

Ask a Question