Skippy filter - Spring start up

Reaction score
The ice finally went away and I found three of my seven kios floating belly up. All of the gold fish were OK. The pond is choked with algae. I will empty and power wash it. I plan to have a skippy filter ready when I start the water back up. I stopped by the Tractor Supply store today looking for a 75 gallon stock tank. They don't carry that size. It is either 50 or 100 gallon. My pond is about 1500 gallons. Should I go with a 50 or 100 gallon stock tank? What size pump should I buy if a 50 is recommended? What size pump if a 100 is recommended?

Thanks for help on this.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
TSC carries a 50 a 70 a 100 and a 150 just in rubbermade a 40 and a 110 in another off brand..go to their site online..or go back to the store. if you ask they will order it for you. you can get the item # online and tsake it with you. the 70 gal was the only the store by me didnt stock but they have them in their warehouses. my pond is 1200 gals and i use a 1200 gph pump on a 70 gal stocktank...if i used a 100 gal my 1200 gph pump would still be great, but i would go alittle bigger just for the falls. a 1200 gph flow will allow 3.5 minutes in the filter in a 70 gal tank.(plenty) in a 100 gallon tank it would be 5 minutes ( great filter hang time)

Reaction score
koiguy - I looked at the TSC site and didn't see a seventy gallon tank listed. When I was in the store today I asked about a 70 gallon tank and the lady looked in their catalog. A 70was not listed. So if I have to I will go with a 100 and buy a 1200 gph pump. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question