Skittish fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone - this past weekend I started my fall prep. I removed about 15 or so floating hyacinths - trimmed yellowing lilies and a handful or so of seaweed. My pond is only 300 gallons so there is still about 50% surface coverage (even with all that removal). I also cleaned out the filter and washed the media with pond water.

However after putting the filter back in and topping off the pond - the fish went into immediate hiding. I can see them hovering by the weed line / open water but have been shy and skittish since Saturday.

Prior to this deep clean the fish came up to me every time I walked near the pond (feeding time or not).

A handful of questions:

Could cleaning the filter make the water quality a level they would need to get used which is causing their shyness? Or maybe moving the fountain filter has them readjusting to the new scene?

By removing some but not all plants make them think they are being prayed on?

The weather has been very windy and temperatures have been up and down - could that be cause?

Thanks ! T

Ask a Question