Small pond filters

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting this filter.. I hope it's not going to be a overkill for my 50 gallon pond?
I'll have a spitter attached too and didn't want it to be too strong of a filter but I think you can adjust the flow

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261976712763
I would be very cautious on purchasing this item. Concern for quality is my first issue. Price is really too cheap for a filter and pump of any quality. Just the pump alone , from a reputable manufacturer, would cost you at least that price, maybe more. 'Caveat Emptor'!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I just don't want to spend tons of money just for a 50 gallon pond so I'm trying to go the cheapest and best route that includes a UV.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just don't want to spend tons of money just for a 50 gallon pond so I'm trying to go the cheapest and best route that includes a UV.

I understand but you also would want, I think, a product that will do the job and that is dependable and durable, has a decent warranty, customer service and spare parts availability. I guarantee you that this product you mentioned will probably do none of these.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I understand but you also would want, I think, a product that will do the job and that is dependable and durable, has a decent warranty, customer service and spare parts availability. I guarantee you that this product you mentioned will probably do none of these.

I agree. You could wind up buying the same filter three times before you ultimately get a higher quality one.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
WOW! That pump moves 1,060 US gallons an hour! That means your pond water is turned over every three minutes! Poor fish are going to have a hard time! That, plus the quality concerns pointed out above...... I'd think twice before going a different route.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would get a filter/pump combination that was capable of maybe 200-250 gph.
You could put a restriction valve on the output so you could control the flow and have the extra filtration capacity in case you determine you need it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The filter I'm looking at has these specs..,
Specifications:

Maximum Output: approx 1600 GPH Inlet /Outlet Hose
Adapter: 3/4", 1 1/4"
Dimensions: Voltage: 110-120v 60Hz
Suitable for Ponds with Small Mix of Fish and Koi up to: approx 900 Gal
Suitable for Decorative Ponds up to: approx 1600 Gal

What size pump should I get for it for my 50 gallon? Or is this a too big of filter?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't totally followed what you are doing with your 50 gallon pond. Are you planning on fish? They make a huge difference in what type of filtration/pump you should look at.
I am not familiar with that pump/filter combination but don't see any indication of GPH or what the filter is designed to handle.
I also don't use a UV light so I can't help you there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I haven't totally followed what you are doing with your 50 gallon pond. Are you planning on fish? They make a huge difference in what type of filtration/pump you should look at.
I am not familiar with that pump/filter combination but don't see any indication of GPH or what the filter is designed to handle.
I also don't use a UV light so I can't help you there.

Yes, only plan on maybe 2-3 fish and that's it

Ask a Question