Small pond filters

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks ! I'll have to check it out... Would this be too big for a 50 gallon pond?
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262048370253
The main thing to keep in mind regardless of pond size is, although you want to turn the water often you do not want to set up a current that the fish will be swimming against 24/7/365. Fish do need to exercise but they also need periods of rest. Too high of a turn-over rate will afford them little chance of rest resulting in stress and possible exhaustion. Turn-over rate should be 1.5 to 2 times per hour. For 50 gallon pond this would require a small pump. The filter can be any size with a gravity-fed filter being the better choice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I recommended a pond breather before I had a look at the size of pond.
The pond breather needs deeper water.

A couple of things to consider if you want to keep your pond operating through winter -
-How cold for how long does it get where you live?
-What is your frost line at?
-How exposed is your pond to wind?
-If you use a floating deicer or a heater to keep an open water area, you will have a fair amount of water evaporation so you will need to top up the pond with water quite frequently. That could change the water chemistry depending on the difference between the source water and pond water which could create hazardous conditions for your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I recommended a pond breather before I had a look at the size of pond.
The pond breather needs deeper water.

A couple of things to consider if you want to keep your pond operating through winter -
-How cold for how long does it get where you live?
-What is your frost line at?
-How exposed is your pond to wind?
-If you use a floating deicer or a heater to keep an open water area, you will have a fair amount of water evaporation so you will need to top up the pond with water quite frequently. That could change the water chemistry depending on the difference between the source water and pond water which could create hazardous conditions for your fish.

It's between 20-30 degrees in the winter. My pond is behind wood privacy fence so not too bad of wind and I'm not sure what you mean by frost line..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My brother lives in Flat Rock Michigan and he had a preformed and put a heater in it but pond did not make it nor did the fish .That was 2 years ago .Needless to say he gave up and just made it a water feature for the warmer winter .His was 200 gallons.Frost line is how deep footings need to be for foundations of houses or decks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My brother lives in Flat Rock Michigan and he had a preformed and put a heater in it but pond did not make it nor did the fish .That was 2 years ago .Needless to say he gave up and just made it a water feature for the warmer winter .His was 200 gallons.Frost line is how deep footings need to be for foundations of houses or decks

I have a friend that has a 130 gallon and she uses a heater in her pond and it does fine all winter and she's here in Michigan too .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's between 20-30 degrees in the winter. My pond is behind wood privacy fence so not too bad of wind and I'm not sure what you mean by frost line..

The frost line is the depth that frost can penetrate below the ground surface.
For me it's 4 Feet.
For you I guess it's 3 feet.
You want your pond depth to be below the frost line, that's why I made my pond 5 feet deep.
You can find out the depth from your local building code.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I didn't think that Michigan was that shallow. I thought you folks had cold winters.
For me a 1500 watt heater will freeze over.
Anyways, I hope I gave you some things to consider for winter.
Good luck.(y)

Ask a Question