Snake Alert...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I just realized that Tiny Termite is in the UK! No wonder I didn't recognize the snake. Beautiful markings!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a good set of pics of a very nice looking snake!

And BTW, as a general rule [notice I said "general rule"], if the snake has round pupils -- like this beauty -- it's non-venomous. If it's pupils are vertical slits, chances are it is venomous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
First sighting last year was the 16th of June and this year was today, but no photo evidence, maybe tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
But here's my favourite shot I took a few years back, someday I'm hoping to better it, but maybe that day will never come.

I just love this photograph.

P1280534.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice shot!

We relocated 2 snakes a couple of years ago, cause we had purchased some baby koi and they would not have survived otherwise! We will never, ever do that again!
Removing the snakes cause the chipmunk takeover and lots of damage to the pond structure.
We learned our lesson, never to interfere with Nature!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hes beautiful! And in a very large pond, with lots of fish and places to hide, snakes are great, but in my case, one garter took up residence and cost me big. He ate or caused my fish to jump the pond and die. i had to catch and relocate him to a larger golf course pond. I wanted him to stay, and tolerated him for weeks, but they are a menace to small ponds with small fish. I do love snakes though and hes a beauty! Great pics!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a great shot, the first one is a really great shot, you caught the reflection beautifully!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Very nice shot!

We relocated 2 snakes a couple of years ago, cause we had purchased some baby koi and they would not have survived otherwise! We will never, ever do that again!
Removing the snakes cause the chipmunk takeover and lots of damage to the pond structure.
We learned our lesson, never to interfere with Nature!

In all my years of watching Grass Snakes I have never seen a Grass Snake capture a Fish, the Fish are just too fast for them, unless they are poorly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
In all my years of watching Grass Snakes I have never seen a Grass Snake capture a Fish, the Fish are just too fast for them, unless they are poorly.
That is likely true. But I personally have experienced them scare fantails, (fat slow moving fish) so badly, theyve jumped the pond. Since I relocated that snake, I havent lost a fantail. For Koi and Shu's and basic goldfish, most snakes are cool I assume. Unfortunately, my pond is not big enough to accomodate Shus and Koi, so Fantails are my most showy and wont outgrow my small pond. But they are vulnerable to fear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I knew I had a garter snake near my pond, as I've seen it slither into the rocks behind the water fall, when I'm weeding. Today I discovered it, sunning itself on my lily pads.

I ran to get my camera and was surprised ( and a little disturbed ) to see multiple smaller snakes, sunning on the rocks surrounding the pond. Later when my husband came home, I showed him and there was one swimming in the pond!

I have 4 koi, the smallest about 14 inches, but I've read their bite can slightly anesthetize their prey, which is concerning.

Should I be concerned and how does one go about catching and re locating snakes?

Ask a Question