Snake problem.

EAC

Reaction score
Off topic. Didn't know where to ask.

I found this snake skin in the unfinished part of my basement. I was told it's a black rat snake. Either way, I hate it and need it gone. I ordered a few tape traps to hopefully catch it.

It's a fairly new house out in the woods. I searched and search, sealed a few small spots where something might have gotten in.

Anyways, can you guys recommend how to catch a snake in case these tape traps don't work?

The skin measured out around 5 feet long. I'm deathly afraid of snakes, so this thing has got to go.

Attachments

• 20130912_221713.jpg
    20130912_221713.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Wow! a 5 ft snake slithering around the house in the dark while you are trying to sleep, and you are "deathly afraid of snakes". Boy i wish you luck with that one.
At least he'll likely keep your mouse population under control. :biggrin:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like snakes, but I have seen anti snake stuff you can put around your house. Won't kill them but will deter them. home depot and lowes.

Reaction score
I would call the local animal control officer, pest control, and or conservation to ask them for direct advice ... I dont have an issue with snakes, but I would have an issue with something 5' moving in LOL.

EAC

Reaction score
I called them. They said to live with it because it kills rodents and it's harmless! Can you believe that?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had a big problem with snakes in our basement on a suspended ceiling. They ate the dozens of mice we hadn't caught and we sealed up any openings. No more snakes or mice. They are there for the food. any sign of a mouse problem?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A freshly-shed Black Ratsnake is one of our most beautiful and beneficial animals. They keep the rodent population down. I'd rather have a 5' Ratsnake living around my house than a couple dozen rats and mice. Please enlist the help of a local SPCA or reptile club, and DON'T kill it!
John

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
Wow! a 5 ft snake slithering around the house in the dark while you are trying to sleep, and you are "deathly afraid of snakes". Boy i wish you luck with that one.
At least he'll likely keep your mouse population under control. :biggrin:
LOL! MUCKY! Bad Mucky! Trying to scare her :)

Reaction score
Snakes, especially rat snakes, don't just wonder into your home to have a warm place to sleep. They are there for food, if not mice, then maybe lizards, or frogs. But seeing that he is inside, I'd say it's either mice or lizards. As HARO said, perfectly harmless animal, if you had not have found his shed, I'd go so far as to say you would have never known he was there. He will go when the food source is gone.
My son found a baby one outside near the ponds, he's my 7 year old :) He came running inside with wide eyes, so out of breath he could hardly tell me " Mom! I found a baby snake! I asked him "did he get a good look at it, and what color was it?" Brayden says. "MOM! You don't understand! It was HUGE!", and holds his hands out about a foot and a half apart! Haha! I had to laugh it was so funny! I told him it was probably just a baby rat snake and he was harmless. "But MOM! Your not listening to me right, if there is a baby snake, then that means there is a Mommy snake!". :) At that point I had to explain why we had Mommy snakes around...... Kids are so funny! :)

Reaction score
EAC said:
I called them. They said to live with it because it kills rodents and it's harmless! Can you believe that?
Well, I would then try like hell to find how it got in, and if it gets in again, bub bye snake ... I'd be more forgiving if it was smaller .. I love wild life and feed a small pack of coyotes (I know we shouldnt, but they are welcome in our woods) but a 5' snake would NOT be moving in from the wild ...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wish I was closer, I would love to try and remove it, and relocate it. We have quite an assortment of snakes that I have relocated around the property. Not at all uncommon to see one or two during the week. Lived here two years and only 1 venomous snake has been found. Something you can try is to take a large box and cut a small hole in a lower corner of the box. Preferably where it would be next to a wall. Place a heating pad turned on low in the back side of the box, Leave it alone for a few days between checking. Snakes love dark, warm areas to hide in while digesting food. Also if there are places that may be like this in the basement check them every so often. Lick others have said, snakes aren't all bad, Hopefully it can be removed alive and safely.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My sentiments, exactly, Larkin! If it was near me, I'd try to help. Too many times we are afraid of that which we don't know, and the instinct is to kill it. That might be justified if the animal poses a direct threat, but in most cases it's just a case of killing a mockingbird!
John

Reaction score
Since black rat snakes shed their skin shortly after emerging from hibernation. its possible the snake left your basement last Spring. When and where did you find it. Of course, it may want to re-enter to hivernate when cold weather comes. If you google "can tape tracks trap snakes" you will find the first page divided between instructions on how to make the tape trap, and how to rescue a snake that has been trapped on tape.

Ask a Question