some bird footage....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mogsie; FYI, "flying rats" are the seagulls, AKA "shithawks". Pigeons are God's gift to mankind, and if you don't believe me, I have numerous contacts in the UK who may just come knocking at your door to straighten you out! :nono: John

Reaction score
ah ! are you into racing pidgeons john ?? living on the coast i am surrounded by seagulls, and yes lots of people complain about them ! and complain to me when i feed them lol, i tell them " if you dont like seagull dont live near the sea" they where here long before we were ! people say they are dirty birds but their feathers are always pristine white,

i am now going to lock my door incase a mob of pidgeon fanciers start gathering outside brandishing corn buckets !! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well either way I'm beginning to wonder mogsie .Sanity is not a ponders best attributes .Good gosh we are real bunch huh LOL oh if anyone starts eating city chicken please don't tell us .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
No, Mogsie, I'm not rich enough to race homers. I keep Birmingham rollers and a few tipplers, just for the thrill of watching them fly. Judging from a pigeon website I read through now and then, there are quite a number of Britons taking in feral birds.
John

Reaction score
hey haro in my town you can get an (ASBO) anti social behaviour order, for feeding feral pidgeons or seagulls, as they are classed as a pest ! i think that is a bit over board, i think the police have better things to do than issue asbo's to people feeding pidgeons in the park ! never been into pidgeons myself , my uncle used to keep fantails, however i used to keep finches etc, weaver birds, java sparrows, painted quails, allsorts, really enjoyed it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy thats because you are used to your friend the heron .Has he been back lately or has he gone to warmer pastures to wait it out .

Sissy, have not seen the heron since early november, hopefully gone for the winter

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mogsie; my dad raised birds all his life, started with budgies and canaries in the old country, then here in Canada he built aviaries in the basement for all kinds of exotic finches and the like. When he finally moved to the country he got into pheasants, but he refused to let me keep pigeons, claimed a pigeon ate as much as a chicken, so he might as well keep the chickens and at least have fresh eggs! As for the ASBO, are the old ladies feeding pigeons in the park anti-social?
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess herons do not like ponds here as I have talked to alot of people with ponds and most did not know what a heron is .I know i have never seen one here and most of them have said they have not seen any raccoons either .We get a lot of fox and deer and a few bear and couple of ground hogs .So addy I'm happy none here so don't give yours my address .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess herons do not like ponds here as I have talked to alot of people with ponds and most did not know what a heron is .I know i have never seen one here and most of them have said they have not seen any raccoons either .We get a lot of fox and deer and a few bear and couple of ground hogs .So addy I'm happy none here so don't give yours my address .

Drawing up a mapquest, posting it for the birds! with printed directions also..........this way to Sissy's

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
darn it ,but thinking he can't read .I wonder if there even herons down here ,the first time I ever saw one or heard of them is on here.I wonder what ostriches do as the one farm house here is supposed to raise ostriches .They just bought the farm and put out there sign and i noticed it yesterday on my walk .The house is far back and it used to be a cow farm .The sign says ostrich farm ,maybe there name is ostrich , not sure as the place has a no trespassing sign also

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A guy up the road kept Emu's and I used to enjoy walking by looking at them do there thing. I guess they must have gotten out somehow and one turned up at my neighbors house one day. Then I saw feathers all over in front of the guys house like something must have gotten to them. Now I see no more Emu's :sad:

Ask a Question