some input

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally not a fan of the dyed pond look. To me it looks more "pool" than "pond" at that point. I'm not sure how effective it is at doing what it's supposed to do, but there are definitely other ways to create shade for your pond.
Yeah, I agree. There are other ways to add shade that would look more natural. I feel like the dye takes away from the view of the fish and messes with the natural ecosystem. My personal favorites are floating plants, shady plants along the edge of the pond, or some kind of movable shade if you want sunlight sometimes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cold hardy Banana plants work great for shade and all you have to do is mulch them in good come winter .Just don't plant them to close to the pond because they have lots of babies

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is in full hot sun all day it does fine without any additional shade or dye. I do have lilies, pond plants etc.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Ok I came across the product which was called fish pond dye which comes in black and blue and crystal blue and so on which gives your pond a tint to protect it from the sun and blocking out all kinds of stuff that's bad for the pond, lake.

I figured since my pond is in direct sun light that this product would work out great for me. Has anyone used it or tryed it cause all I've seen was great reviews on this.

Looks unnatural. If you want to "tint" the water to reduce sunlight penetration, use barley extract or bales.

Reaction score
Country
United States
cold hardy Banana plants work great for shade and all you have to do is mulch them in good come winter .Just don't plant them to close to the pond because they have lots of babies

Banana trees are definitely a good option. It depends on how cold your climate is, though. My aunt had to take her banana trees inside every winter until they were large enough to make it through the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm... I wonder if you could try a big potted plant strategically placed to cast shade, or even a large patio umbrella. A flat rock over the top of the pond would block your view of the water, which is the point of the pond, right?
Do you have any suggestions for types of patio umbrellas/shades to buy? There are a lot of options out there, and it's a little overwhelming. Just thought I'd try to get your 2 cents. I've found some regular shade umbrellas, like this style http://srpshade.com/products/10x10-single-post-hexagon-umbrella but I also like the look of a pergola or some type of standing structure like this http://srpskyspan.com/products/cabana-10ft-square. I'm just not sure what would work best. What has worked for you?

Ask a Question