JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did some photography around my pond today and thought I'd share with everyone. Temperatures were near perfect today. It was nice and sunny, and made for a good day at my pond.
Here's one of my Comets and two Shubunkins.
IMG_7057.jpg

Of course, I'm excited to have so many lily pads shooting up. I've never had lily pads do this well before.
IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

If you look closely at this next photo, you can see a little water bug on one of the pads.
IMG_7066 copy.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of little debris on the surface. Seeds and pollen are blowing around pretty good.
IMG_7069.jpg

Here is Blue Arrows Rush in my bog.
IMG_7080.jpg

Sweet Woodruff just outside of the bog. Does good in sun and can really do great in shade.
IMG_7085.jpg

Tufted Hairgrass and its shadow
IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

This is the time of year when it really becomes enjoyable to have a pond again. You're not waiting for plants to start growing or snow to melt. So much going on in and around the pond!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where did you get your lilies from? Believe it or not I've had good luck with the ones from menards. Looking good overall!

My first water lily was from Menards but it never did well and didn't live to see another year, but to be fair, I did the "Drop and Grow" thing and never replanted it. One of my water lilies is from Home Depot, it flowered, but then last year did nothing, and the others are from Addy.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Glad to see the ones from addy doing well. I did learn that you have to buy them in spring, the longer they sit on the shelves, the less luck you have with them. I'm up in Green Bay, guessing your closer to Madison/Milwaukee?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice shots! I really like the first one of your fish. Do you have to take a lot of shots of the fish to get a good one?

I have such a hard time getting a decent picture of any of my pond fish. When it's sunny you can see the big maple tree and telephone lines above the pond in the reflection in the water. So frustrating.....

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice shots! I really like the first one of your fish. Do you have to take a lot of shots of the fish to get a good one?

I have such a hard time getting a decent picture of any of my pond fish. When it's sunny you can see the big maple tree and telephone lines above the pond in the reflection in the water. So frustrating.....

I used to have a hard time, but not really anymore. I just sit by the edge and wait for them to come right up to me. This particular time I fed them, though. I don't have too many problems with reflection since I don't have anything tall around my pond other than my house, so I just never take pictures facing that way. & I only get good photos when its sunny. The sun makes colors pop and it makes cameras work faster so images don't come out blurry.

Of course, as good as cameras are, they don't really capture things the way our eyes see them, especially when it comes to photos of water, and especially when it comes to lower quality cameras, like mine. That's where post-production can make a good photo better. It can bring out the colors and depths that the camera wasn't able to capture, while still keeping the image true to what it was.
DSCN5451.jpg

DSCN5451_2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks JB, I can see the difference in your photo.

I will have to try hanging out and feeding to get some shots. Probably better on a day when it's overcast or maybe even later at night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks JB, I can see the difference in your photo.

I will have to try hanging out and feeding to get some shots. Probably better on a day when it's overcast or maybe even later at night.
Try shooting through a pair of sun glasses or a polarized lens
and I also have heard of setting your camera to night shooting helps.

Ask a Question