speaking of winterizing...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well this morning i think i did my last 55 gal water change of the season...unless i get a much better weather report....Tuesday is our highest temp in the 10 day forecast @ 72* ... 50s and 60s to look forward to during the day & low 50s and 40s @ night! so tuesday may very well be pond closing day!...would love to keep them outside as long as possible..we will see.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are saying this is the coldest we have been on this date in 20 plus years. Will see if the temp bounces back up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope it bounces back up. I need to get my pond ready for Winter. I've been slacking.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
koiguy,
I think you just described my forecast for the next week also, good thing for you your in the lower half of the state, if you were in the UP, who knows when you would have shut it all down, lol see that yourself, myself, and sunshine are all pretty much in the same zone (granted I am almost literally on the line between 4-5 in this area)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's 61* and cloudy skies. I kind of like it. Fall is my favorite. And ... the grass is green again .... lol I did get the hardy Hibiscus (my avatar) out of the pond and planted in the ground last night. Got rid of the Lizard Tail that was just out of control and making a mess in the pond. I usually wait till November to put the plants in the bottom of the pond, but with this weather, might be sooner. I'm waiting on a warmer day to clean the Bio filter and do a water change one last time before the snow flies.

Addy, do I cut the plants down in the bog? I'm leaving it run through the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's 61* and cloudy skies. I kind of like it. Fall is my favorite. And ... the grass is green again .... lol I did get the hardy Hibiscus (my avatar) out of the pond and planted in the ground last night. Got rid of the Lizard Tail that was just out of control and making a mess in the pond. I usually wait till November to put the plants in the bottom of the pond, but with this weather, might be sooner. I'm waiting on a warmer day to clean the Bio filter and do a water change one last time before the snow flies.

Addy, do I cut the plants down in the bog? I'm leaving it run through the winter.

I just let them die, then go in and cut back. The rushes and iris stay green all winter, the rest just poof away.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Anyone else rolling into "INDIAN SUMMER"?.....80* on Sunday ...upper 70s today, tommorow & Saturday , and then mid 70s til wednesday...woo hoo!! my guys may just get another week outside anyways...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Did you have frost yet? I always heard Indian summer was after the first frost. We got down to 38* one day (night) but don't know if we got frost or not. But, YES !!!! We are getting warmer. I kinda don't like it. I was hoping for chilly days and cold nights. Chili soup weather you know .... lol

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Did you have frost yet? I always heard Indian summer was after the first frost. We got down to 38* one day (night) but don't know if we got frost or not. But, YES !!!! We are getting warmer. I kinda don't like it. I was hoping for chilly days and cold nights. Chili soup weather you know .... lol

Right up until you are trying to snowblow through a 4 foot drift in your driveway... then you'll be angry that you ever wished for the cool weather.

Ask a Question