spring flowers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Beautiful pictures tmann! they are such a treat to watch. Innovative on getting to that food!.

addy1, Aug 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

taherrmann4 Tmann

Yes and they keep my dog entertained for hours, they are like a babysitter for my dog.

taherrmann4, Aug 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

laughing mine too! she sits in the sun room window watching them.............. Totally entertained. With the way our feeders are hung they are just slightly above eye level for her.

addy1, Aug 16, 2011
  4. addy1

taherrmann4 Tmann

It's the squirrels in the morning, rabbits and chipmunks in the afternoon then the raccoons at night.

taherrmann4, Aug 16, 2011
  5. addy1

natural babysitters! how cool, mainly squirrels, rabbits and deer here. Raccoons, have not seen in a while, only have seen one chipmuck since we moved here.

addy1, Aug 16, 2011
  6. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Ahhhhhhhhh, those are good pics tmann. What the heck is he doing in the 2nd to the last picture on the ice............getting a drink or trying to bury something in the water?

j.w, Aug 17, 2011
  7. addy1

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Addy, is that the night bloomer you got from me? If so that's the Rosa de la Noche. I couldn't remember which one I sent you that or the Mrs. Emily Grant Hutchings. My Texas shell pink just bloomed this weekend but I'm still crossing my fingers that I'll get at least one Red flare before the season ends.

fishin4cars, Aug 17, 2011
  8. addy1

taherrmann4 Tmann

He was getting a drink.

taherrmann4, Aug 17, 2011
  9. addy1

Yes the one you sent me, sending up one or two blooms every other day or so. They just started opening at night tonight.

addy1, Aug 17, 2011
  10. addy1

Think this is mini spearwort...............it just bloomed really pretty!

DSC02274.JPG

DSC02273.JPG

DSC02278.JPG

My little one wanted to catch that butterfly

DSC02279.JPG

addy1, Aug 21, 2011
    j.w likes this.
  11. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Very pretty flowers addy and I don't think the pup got the butterfly I hope anyways ;)

j.w, Aug 21, 2011
  12. addy1

She is not that fast jw, but it sure caught her attention. The water hawthorn, you sent, is right near that pink lily bloom, it sure is sending up leaves. Will be fun to watch it grow and bloom. It will head for the big pond when we start freezing up. The deck pond is too shallow it will freeze solid.

addy1, Aug 21, 2011
  13. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

My cats try to catch them but they only seem to be able to catch the little white moths. Glad to hear the Hawthorne is doing good for you. Mine too is sending up lots of new leaves. Not pushing for cooler weather here but yes it will be nice to see it bloom and make babies. How deep are you planning on putting yours down into the pond? Mines at about 18" sitting on a pond shelf. I guess it should be safe there cuz it does not freeze down that low.

j.w, Aug 21, 2011
  14. addy1

About the same 18 inches or so, we froze down to 8 inches last year, the lilies were at about 2 feet and did fine. I want to leave the deep area totally open for the fish.

addy1, Aug 21, 2011
  15. addy1

CountryEscape

Addy, what is the ground cover on the third picture? I've seen it before, and pulled it thinking it was a weed, as I had not planted it! Looks like it grows well. Can you give me a name for it? Thanks! BTW, too hot to be outside, so surfing the GPF old chats. :razz:

CountryEscape, Aug 22, 2011
  16. addy1

CountryEscape

Again, I'm commenting on stuff you all posted back in April! But, I got a few starts from my Grandmother's sedum probably 25 years ago. When I divorced, I made sure I took some with me to where I rented. Now I own a house, and brought them with me again. This summer, I gave starts of it to 2 of my sisters for their yards. It's wonderful to take plants and pass them on to generation after generation and know they have family meaning.

17. addy1

CountryEscape

JW, that Star Magnolia is very unique! Never seen one like it around here in IL, so maybe it is not hardy here in Zone 5. LOVE the Rock Cress, never seen that before either that I'm aware of. I think I just live in too small of an area, need to go to the big cities in the spring. :) And, I tried to grow primrose several years in a row, the company would replace the plants that did not grow, but I finally gave up. Plants would grow, but never bloom, and never came back like they were supposed to. Thanks for sharing! Again, sorry I'm responding so late in the year, but these spring flowers are giving me ideas for NEXT spring, and what I may want to plant this fall for next spring. :)

18. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Country; The magnolia should do all right in your area. We are in zone 5 and ours has grown to about 15" in 10 years or so, and gives a great display every spring. John

HARO, Aug 22, 2011
  19. addy1

It was darn hot outside here too, heat index of 93, we were supposed to get storms got a non measure able sprinkle. But of course south and east of us got tons of rain.......

No clue country, it just comes up by itself. It looks ok, grows everywhere, starts dieing back as it get warmer, so I just let it be. If it is overtaking an area I yank some of it up, but there is so much of it, I tend to let it be.

addy1, Aug 22, 2011
  20. addy1

CountryEscape

JW, what is the third picture here, the pink flowers? I really like that, and I've been reading this post (all evening!) and writing down plants I want to check into getting next spring. The last pic is a calla lily, isn't it? Here, I have to dig them up, but I've never had luck growing them in the first place. Buy them ready to bloom, they bloom and then die. When I try to dig up the tubers, there is nothing there. I think my soil is too heavy and they rot before fall. :-(

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question