spring flowers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have them popping up everywhere, which I am enjoying, but got lots of land and not a formal type garden.

addy1, Sep 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Country any plants that are suffering might just need more water. I think I read that Hibiscus like lots of water at least until they get established roots and then I think they become more drought tolerant. I would wait to fertilize them til maybe next Spring as it's kinda late in the season now. Don't know about Roses and fertilizer for now. I know they love Alfalfa meal and I add it in the Spring. The kind w/o the minerals. The mineral type is for rabbits. You can find it at farm co-op stores here. They sell the pellet type also but you have to mix that kind w/ water and then dig it in real good. That's why I like the meal cuz I can just dig it in the ground around the Rosebush and then water it in w/ a hose. If you see bugs you could find out what kind they are and use the right insecticide or go out at night w/ a flashlight and see whats crawling on them. If nothing then I would not bother w/ it cuz how would you know what to use?

Post a picture of your new tiny plants and maybe we will know what they are. Maybe Frogbit?

j.w, Sep 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

CountryEscape

JW, you may have hit it on the nose with the hibiscus. I moved all the plants out of the bog to replace the water line, and it was really hard to try to get them back down into the pea gravel, so that pot may have been not as deep in the water as it had been before. And, I moved it back and forth several times trying to sick it lower, and may have damaged some of their roots which were coming out of the pot. I'm not too concerned, as this plant will die back and get brought into the garage as it is in the same pot with the Thalia. I think one or two other plants could stay outside, but will leave them all together for now. Next spring will be a chore to separate them into different pots. The hibiscus is a pond plant, but maybe other hibiscus could be as well. I bought it sitting in a pot under water, but as you said, they may have wanted more water! The roses, yes, I had not been watering them much. My Japanese Maple dropped 99% of its leaves, but the landscaper said as long as the branches are not brittle (they are very flexible still) it's not dead, just dropped leaves because of stress. I was watering it a lot, maybe too much, since I have somewhat heavy soil. I suspect it will come out of it by spring, so will not worry until then. I did have it in the pot for well over a month (maybe 2?) until I finally planted it, but watered it daily in the pot. Time will tell!
    I will take pics of the tiny floating plant in the a.m. It has great root system, so I want to have more of it next spring to put in the pond. If the fish eat them, then I will keep at least part of them in the bog to multiply and then feed excess to the koi!

CountryEscape, Sep 10, 2011
  4. addy1

CountryEscape

Here are the tiny floating plants that I got at the local pet shop. They were maybe 1" in diameter when I bought them (maybe smaller) and now are over 2" each plant, and have multiplied. I know he said they will not survive the winter, and you can see they are not as lush green because we had some 50 degree nights, but still doing fine. I will put them inside with a plant light overwinter to see how many I can produce by spring. :)
    s Ark.JPG

5. addy1

CountryEscape

Remind me, GPF friends, can I feed until the water temp gets to 50 or 60? It's at about 65 now, but I am going to a wedding and having neighbor kids do my chores next weekend, so wondering if the temps is below 60 if I need to forego having them feed the fish. Thanks!!!

6. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Country; the plants are water lettuce, and will grow to about 8" or so across. As far as feeding your fish for the weekend, I've found that it is much better just to let them find their own for a few days, as opposed to returning to find your pond covered with soggy food by well-meaning neighbours. John

HARO, Sep 10, 2011
  7. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

I was told by garden guy on radio that Japanese Maples don't need extra water during our summers once established. You are much hotter tho so don't know how much water they need there. You could be over watering them tho, not sure. They can suffer from root rot w/ too much water. Now those tiny plants that you have there look like my water lettuce plants that I purchased. I think their is a dwarf variety of them so maybe that is what you have. Check out this site: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor Dwarf Water Lettuce.htm

j.w, Sep 10, 2011
  8. addy1

CountryEscape

Well, I'll be darn! Haro, I would have said that they were not water lettuce, but I must admit that when I looked at the picture on here it sure did look like lettuce, and that was before I asked! JW, you're right, and so is Haro! They are the dwarf variety, I guess! They have the exact same root system, and they did super when put out in the sun. I will take them in and put them under a high intensity light for the winter. I'm so excited, as the one and only water lettuce (regular variety) died within 2 weeks in my pond; however, I'm sure the koi were feeding on the roots, thus killing it, or so I would guess, knowing what I now know about that! These will feed my fish next year, but I will first reproduce as many as I can through the winter, and then put some back in the bog to reproduce in the spring, and the rest in the pond for the fish! I'm soooo excited! Thanks both of you for identifying them!!!
    And, JW, I had a very nice wet spring, but here we had very little rain since July 15 or so, and hot conditions (90's) so that is why I was watering. I had it in the original pot until only about 3 weeks ago, so that is why I was daily watering it. It started suffering in the pot, I must say though, so maybe I was overwatering it. I was also fertilizing with a very diluted solution of Miracle Grow (1 tbl per 3.5 gal of water), so maybe that hurt it, too. I am hopeful it will come back in the spring, though, since the branches are all very subtle and none are dried and brittle. :)

9. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hoping you don't lose it Country cuz they are such beauties! You can scratch the bark on the limb or the trunk just a tiny bit with a sharp knife or your fingernail and if it's green underneath then the wood is still alive. Sometimes it takes awhile to turn brown or grey underneath it's skin if it's dead or dying but hopefully it will stay green underneath.

j.w, Sep 10, 2011
  10. addy1

CountryEscape

No worries, JW, it's very green, and there are new buds on all the branches. I think it just got stressed, but now since I'm only watering really good once a week, it's coming around. Not sure if that was it, but I will be careful not to overwater it. I know since my ground is somewhat heavy, my watering it so often may have been held under there and not draining away. There is a new leaf on the most bottom branch, too, but not positive if it was there, and not fallen off yet, or a new leaf. I'll be watching for more new leaves! I think it will make it. Probably the very hot temps and dry conditions did not help it either. I think it is stressed from many things and simply dropped it leaves, as it needed the energy to work on the root system. We shall see!
    JW, what is the temp that you stop feeding your fish in the fall? Is it 60 or 50?
    Haro, when I have someone else feed my fish, I tell them specifically how much to feed, and NO MORE! They are really good about it. I have them feed less than I normally do each feeding, and they feed once a day and I feed twice. :)

11. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Good idea, Country, but they really won't starve in 2 or 3 days! John

HARO, Sep 10, 2011
  12. addy1

CountryEscape

True, Haro, and if it gets as chilly as they are predicting, I won't have them feed them at all, but I will be gone 5 days, although I know they won't starve in that amount of time either. It's getting cooler these days, and I saw 40's for the week that I am gone, so I will likely not have them feed at all, just to be safe. Better to have all food eaten and none on the bottom coming up on cooler temps. :)

13. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

I stop feeding my goldfish at 55F and don't start again in Spring til temps are above a consistent 55F for several days. I didn't feed them at all for the first several yrs that I had them and they did fine.

j.w, Sep 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question