spring flowers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. addy1

CountryEscape

Thanks, John! I will definitely watch for that next spring, probably have to go to a landscape place for that. I love trees and bushes that stay small. This will be perfect!

CountryEscape, Aug 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

That one is called Phlox and it comes in different colors. You can grow it from seed from the store also and yes the last one is Calla Lily and it is hardy here but if it was any colder I would have to dig them up also.

j.w, Aug 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I love phlox, have white, deep purple/pink, and pink. It smells so good, blooms off and on all summer. Survives our winters.

addy1, Aug 22, 2011
  4. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Not exactly Spring blooms anymore but blooms just the same and so thought I'd share some before the dreaded winter rolls in on us in the not too distant future.

Attached Files:

j.w, Sep 9, 2011
  5. addy1

Beautiful jw!
    Let me introduce...............charlie

He lives between our neighbors shed and under our deck/garage. Loves the dropping apples

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  6. addy1

taherrmann4 Tmann

Great looking group of flowers JW.

taherrmann4, Sep 9, 2011
  7. addy1

CountryEscape

Awww ... Charlie is adorable! Is it a squirrel? Or groundhog? Looks more like a squirrel, but too big ... :)
    JW, awesome flower pics! Yes, cooler temps are heading our way, but we always have "Indian Summer" sometime in late Sept. or usually Oct. so I'm holding out for now. :)
    And, I found the white flowering bush at my landscapers, JW, something like wedding bells or something like that (too lazy to look back in this thread!) and they can get it in a very nice size (about 3' tall) for $30, so that will be an addition in the spring. Have all winter to plan the area around the pond, and how I will expand the landscaping there.

CountryEscape, Sep 9, 2011
  8. addy1

bridal wreath spirea country

That is our resident ground hog. I make certain it and my yorkie never meet, my yorkie would lose.

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  9. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Country; I just happened to glance back at this post, and realized my mistake. The magnolia is 15 FEET tall, not 15 inches! If you were looking for a miniature, it probably isn't quite what you'd want. Sorry about that. John

HARO, Sep 9, 2011
  10. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Awwww, he's cute addy and at first I thought it was a bear, lol!

j.w, Sep 9, 2011
  11. addy1

It looks like a little bear jw, almost 3 x the size of my yorkie.

The hyacinths have gone crazy with all this rain and less heat!

Deck pond

DSC02322.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

One of the stream ponds

DSC02321.JPG

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  12. addy1

taherrmann4 Tmann

Addy my hyacinths were the same way, they actually grew so fast that in a matter of a week created a dam by my waterfall and forced some of the water to flow out of the pond. It is the one spot where I don't have much room for error in regards to the liner, if the water rises in this one spot by more than 1.5" it will go outside the pond. Has never been a problem until these hyacinths this year, as they have gone nuts in that pool.

taherrmann4, Sep 9, 2011
  13. addy1

superdaft

Nice flowers Jw, what is the name of that one in the last pic? I got a load of them yesterday, saved from a garden that was being dug up, I really like them but have no idea what they are.

Rory.

superdaft, Sep 9, 2011
  14. addy1

I just lost a few inches, same issue hyacinths decided to grow a massive amount, in the deck pond and stream did a nice little blockage..........lol
    Another water change over.......
    They have gone nuts.

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  15. addy1

CountryEscape

Addy, you're so right about ground hog vs your Yorkie .... Charlie would win hands down! Not that your Yorkie would not THINK he could win. LOL
    Haro, I missed the 15", understood it to be 15', so I'm good there. :) And, thanks for reminding me, Addy. Yes, it's bridal wreath, and I am definitely getting one for next year! Especially since the price they quoted for the size they had, was very reasonable. And, the landscaping places around here rarely put anything on sale, so if I want something special order, it's a matter of finding the best price for the best quality.

CountryEscape, Sep 10, 2011
  16. addy1

She thinks she can beat anything, goes into one hunt mode when she catches a scent, I don't let her out if the ground hog is anywhere to be seen.

addy1, Sep 10, 2011
  17. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

They are Crocosmia's and the hummingbirds love them. They can really take over a garden if you aren't careful. I pulled all mine up and gave away all but a few that I put in a pot. If I plant them in the ground again I will put them in their own little dug out circle so they can't go anywhere else.

j.w, Sep 10, 2011
  18. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

addy your hyacinth's are lovely and bet they smell wonderful right there on your deck. Wish I could get them to grow here but as I've said before..........darn, it's just not warm enough here long enough for them.

j.w, Sep 10, 2011
  19. addy1

CountryEscape

The little bit of rain I have gotten the last week (total of only half inch) has sure brightened up the annuals I have around my deck.
    I'm really sad, though, about the red stemmed hibiscus that I about in a "group" planter. It has lost most of it's leaves. I never see anything chewing on it, and the leaves don't die first, just are gone! Come to think of it, my roses have done the same thing. Landscape place said maybe the heat, they are dropping leaves, which could very well be. I was hoping the hibiscus would bloom, but maybe next year. One stem still has leaves, and all stems look healthy, just not hardly any leaves except the tip top! Any ideas? Roses, maybe should I put fertilizer and insecticide on them when it cools off some?

20. addy1

CountryEscape

JW, I have had no luck with hyacinths, although I must say that the ones I put in the bog are growing and looking pretty good! Not blooming, but at least not dying. LOL And, I got these tiny floating plants from the pet store, he had them in aquariums. They went from maybe 1" diameter for the 3-4 leaf plant (they spread and have "babies", too) to 3-4" diameter in the pond in the sun! I have to bring them in for the winter (after it gets to be 50 degrees) so will put them in the basement with a plant light over them and see if I can keep them, along with the hyacinths, too. Experimenting this winter with plants ...
    Tomorrow if it's rainy, I'm going to make my "plant list" with what plants can stay, what needs to be put in the bottom, and what needs to come in the garage or basement. :)

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question