sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh yes for spring almost 70 degrees here and got mulch a did two of my gardens and cleaned filters on the pond and fish were begging for food

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your fish are just sort of meandering hither and yon looking at this and that as they go by enjoying the underwater weather! Tis about 41* here and wind storm coming tonight to blow us around a bit. Been raining like heck all day. Fish here are checking out the ponds surface and looking for Spring to arrive................me too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy lucky you w/ 70* and able to get out and actually get some gardening done!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They look like they are in slow motion! That's a big school of fish in there! Never did see the big long tailed one you thought MIGHT be a butterfly koi at one time. I was looking for it. Cool watching them in the cold water compared to how they acted when the water was warm and they were feeding.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That beautiful white fish disappeared one night, I saw it up to 7pm, on the recordings, the next day it was gone. No clue. The pond was netted, fenced, too late for a heron, i.e. dark. The only thing I can think is an owl saw it and came in under the net, or some other fish eating bird, besides the heron. He liked to hang right below the surface, always in the middle of the pond, never in the walk out end. But would hang motionless for a long time, showed up like a neon sign at night because of being all white. I still watch to see if it has just been hiding, but know that it is really gone.

There are two more with the similar finnage, one is a shubunkin looking fish it is a dark gold with the long hanging fins, the other I saw last night, whitish with dark fins, didn't see it long enough to figure out the color and it was a distance from the camera.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I saw a gold fish with black on the top line and VERY long fins, very pretty! Seems you have several of that color combination, and I love that. Never seen that coloring in the stores.
So sad if you lost the white fish. I lost my all white very long finned goldfish, too, but never did know how it died or where it went, never saw any signs of it. Have not lost any other fish, except a koi that jumped out of the pond, landed on top of the bog wall, died right there. It could have hopped and ended up in the bog, but must have been knocked out or killed with the hit on the rock wall. Otherwise, have lost no fish that I am aware of. Have had no fish attacks, and am in the process of looking for a large dog for my back yard, but prefer a breed that will not be encouraged to swim in the pond, as I would love to have another Golden Retriever, but know it would be tempted to swim. LOL I guess it would not hurt the fish, just cause havoc on the plants and rock on ledges. Thinking of a German Shepherd, but we shall see.
Thanks again for sharing your videos, Addy. It reminds me of National Geographic shows!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, I have a chocolate Lab. He bailed into the pond the first day we had him, I got all over him and then went and bought him a kiddy swimming pool. I loves his pool and leaves the pond alone, no more issues. three dogs and a cat and the only thing they do around the pond is drink some water from the stream every now and then. Now my poor old pug fell in the other day, she's blind and deaf. I have a collar that sounds off if it gets wet and it worked! She was already out of the water and shaking off by the time I ran out but it was good to know it was worth every cent I paid for it! A little planning and training and you can even train a water retriever which water belongs to them and which belongs to the fish. :)

Oh and Addy, I do hate hearing that about your big white one, I do hope it reappears. I really liked that fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
True, Larkin, training is the key here. I had a Golden that was very dark red, and if I could find another good quality one like her, I would get another one for sure. Always wanted to raise them again, but want better quality this time. Would be neat to have a dark red and a light cream! And, my red female, Sophie, love to "go fishing". Kids had put creek minnows in the kiddie pool, and she would watch them, then dunk her head under the water and catch them! She didn't want to eat them, just would spit them on the ground and go fishing for another one! So, if she were still alive, there would have had to be a fence around the koi pond. LOL It was hilarious to watch. When I moved here, she would stand in the farm pond (my younger Golden did the same thing, but with frogs only, and never did see her catch one LOL) and wait for fish. Those fish were much smarter, though. My daughter has a Golden, and he loves the water but he also has a kiddie pool in the summer. Probably a Golden is much better idea than a German Shepherd, but I had a GS when I graduated high school, and she was the ultimate perfect dog. Guess I'm hoping to find another just like her. I'm in no hurry, but thinking and hoping to find something by March or April.
Here's a picture of a GS I bought about 4 years ago, and sold after only 3 months. She was 6 months old when I got her, and with me working full time, I didn't have the time to re-train her not to jump. She was terrible! Also, she had too much German bloodlines, or at least had the German attitude, and would circle behind friends, and her mom did that to me and bit me in the butt, and I had no desire to have a dog that I could not trust not to bite. But, she sure was beautiful!
Greta.jpg

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Beautiful GS! LOL, Worse dog I have had around ponds was a Keeshound. OMG! She was the most untrainable, dog I ever had, she loved water and hated to listen. I tried for months to work with her but finally had to come to the terms, If I wanted to keep her all water had to go, Since we lived on a 7 acre lake in a neighborhood water was going to be around. So I finally had to locate her a new home. She was a very loving dog, and gorgeous when all brushed out and clean. which was usually about twice a day! for about 20 minutes at a time! LOL You couldn't even take a bath or water plants without her finding a way to get wet. I decided when I found her a home that was going to be the last of the long hair dog days. After raising three Chow Chows, a gazillion yappy Pomerainians, and a keeshound I didn't want to deal with the long haired dogs anymore. I think I made a great choice with Johnny the Lab. One of the smartest and well behaved dogs I have ever had! He's a good guard dog as he sounds vicious when he first sees something out of place, has never tried to bite at all. He is good with the baby animals and the grandbabies as well as active and loves to play when ever given the chance. Only needs to be brushed out a few times a week and easy to brush out compared to the Chows and keeshound. He is very well mannered in the house and listens to what you tell him but sometimes he thinks he's a cat or a small puppy and wants to sit in your lap! Right now he's being my foot warmer. LOL Oh and did I mention he also can count! He's the second dog I have taught to do that. He's not as good as one of the chows was. But he can count 1-10 from voice command, and can count it out by how many fingers I hold up as well. The Chow Chow I could get to add, subtract, multiply, and divide as long as I kept all the #'s (even the correct answer below 10.) Example, 3x4=12, the 12 would through him off and he may or may not be correct on his answer. The Lab though pulled out a new twist on his counting recently when he pawing me the answers. Now not only can he bark the answer he can do it silent with his paw. It's cool to watch but having a 100# lab slap a high five on your leg for a treat gets pretty painful! He gets excited and it starts off a rub but the more you do it the harder he scratches. Those ruff pads can feel like sandpaper! Poor Endy, the dog with epilepsy, she is just the opposite, about as smart as a slug, thinks shes a a cat, can't trust her not to nip, is very jumpy and spooky. and she HATES water. But she also hates, herons, Raccoons, and egrets. She is the better of the two for watching the pond when I'm away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, Larkin, sounds like you are really devoted to your pets that you brush them so often. They must be inside dogs, and then I can sure understand it. I don't brush my long haired cat near enough, and very seldom brush my Boston and the short haired cat, so no wonder I have hair in my house! My own fault, and I need to remedy that pronto. I do have a really good vacuum, though, and that does a good job on the carpeting, but not on the couch and other things the dogs get onto.
That's really neat you have taught your dogs to count! So, do you hold up your hand until they get to the right number and then move it so they know to stop barking? That's how I always thought the trainers taught animals to count. Maybe you have REALLY taught him how to count! That would be amazing.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I do spend a lot of time with all the animals. But I learned from experience, brushing long hair dogs often was a lot easilr on less stressful than cutting out mats. The lab sheds and he's spoiled rotten, yea he's inside right now about as much as he is out, But he does have his own reclyner, he's not allowed on mine. LOL He's getting to the point that I can leave my hand up and he stops on the right # most of the time. It's actually more eye contact. He's learned to watch my eyes and when I glance away he stops, But I challenge him from time to time to see how well he's catching on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's really neat. Thanks for sharing your technique. Maybe someday I'll take the time to train a dog really well. Labs and Goldens are both so extra smart. German Sheps are as well. My first dog as a young child was our family Boxer. When I was in high school, I got my first German Shep. She was perfect! Looked mean, would not hurt a flea. The closest she came to hurting someone, the guy was drunk and following me and bugging me, so I turned and confronted him. Told him to beat it, and he advanced toward me. I told Shena, "Watch him!" The tone of my voice said it was a dangerous situation, and it was a game we would play in fun, but she knew this time it was for real. She lunged forward one body length, and with her bared teeth about 2" from his crotch, and growling deep in her throat, let me tell you he backed off really fast, and that was that! I laughed so hard afterwards, as my dog had never shown any amount of aggression ever! So, that just proved that she did have it in her, when the time was needed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do have some others that are showing some really long fins, just no clue where the white one went to. I reviewed all the recordings from the moment I last saw it, (dark) then the next am (dawn) between the dark and the dawn it disappeared. The nets, plants nothing disturbed, so all I can thing of is a bird, owl maybe got to it.

My attack yorkie would keep all away from the pond if she was allowed out by herself, but if she was, she would be somebodies breakfast, just too small.

Ask a Question