water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Calling for love!

Right before I snapped this, not the best photo I counted 8 in the pile. Hanging out on a lily pot. We get thousands of tads, the tiny toads are so cute when they all hop out and start their new life. Tiny!
20190407_145107.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just noticed the toad/frog at the bottom of the picture. Under water, it almost looks like a leopard frog. I saw one years ago, just once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ah, yes! The toad song of spring. Ours are finally starting to slow down a bit, but we have been experiencing a rather prolonged toad spawn this year. I love them, I really do, but having to dump dozens out of the skimmer baskets every morning is getting a bit old! lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
FINALLY!!!!
Spring fever has gotten a good hold on us here in northeastern PA!
But it's slowly starting to get warmer. Yesterday 65 degrees! Wow! That's the highest yet this year.
At least it's comfortable outside now and we can get started on all our chores out there.
Highs mid 40's to low 50's predicted the rest of the week. Wednesday predicted low of 29....darn!
The pond WAS looking crystal clear, but now it's murky and green. I assume the sun has woken up the algae.
Time to start construction of a planned bog filter.
We have to redo our lawn, but the soil temperature needs to be 65 for this particular grass seed, so we're waiting on that.
HAPPY SPRING!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is greening up big time, the pond is up to 68F no green water the plants are sucking out the nutrients. Crystal clear water

The lilies are sending up shoots/leafs
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Sunday I had the pleasure of watching one of my female koi spawn her eggs. She had all the guy koi chasing her all day until she was done. I got three more girls getting heavy wirh eggs so at some point it'll all happen again. Too bad I can't let any of the babies survive. I wonder how pretty their young would look, but then the reality of an overpopulated pond makes me stop thinking about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sunday I had the pleasure of watching one of my female koi spawn her eggs. She had all the guy koi chasing her all day until she was done. I got three more girls getting heavy wirh eggs so at some point it'll all happen again. Too bad I can't let any of the babies survive. I wonder how pretty their young would look, but then the reality of an overpopulated pond makes me stop thinking about it.
You could set up a grow tank, to raise babies if you had a local pet store or other pond friendly place to take them. It would require culling out any deformed, and then deciding what is pond quality vrs bait fish quality. I’ll be keeping my pond quality fish spawned last year that have survived so far, if I can get my new pond done. After that’s done, I know a guy who builds decorative ponds who might be able to use the others, and new spawn.

Reaction score
You could set up a grow tank, to raise babies if you had a local pet store or other pond friendly place to take them. It would require culling out any deformed, and then deciding what is pond quality vrs bait fish quality. I’ll be keeping my pond quality fish spawned last year that have survived so far, if I can get my new pond done. After that’s done, I know a guy who builds decorative ponds who might be able to use the others, and new spawn.
I wish could, but catching any fish in a 15,000 pool is next to impossible. I have 13 koi right now and that seems like the just right number to have, especially when they get full grown. I have 15-20 goldfish to eat the eggs before they hatch and after that I have about 10 bluegill that should eat any that hatch. If any survive after that, including baby goldfish, I go down to my fishing pond and catch a bass around four five inches to clean up what the other fish missed. When the bass has done his job I can easily catch it with a minnow and return it back to the fishing pond. I'd really like to let them live but doing so would eventually ruin the ecosystem in the pond and kill everything.

Ask a Question