Spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If Golden Club is any indication, Spring is two weeks late compared to prior years. Little stumpy start in '14 compared to the same plant in '10

The usual ritual to weed stray weeds out of its pot as it starts was interesting, in spite of several minutes finding bits to flick out, Golden Club has a stubborn guardian absolutely determined not to budge or be budged. Even allowed me to pour water on him to make him look a bit glossier…

Neat plants, hardy perennials, going like clockwork every year. Well, assuming the clock keeps any vaguely reliable time.

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

golden_club_mar22.jpg

golden_club8_29-3_10.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had my Golden Club in the basement all winter (around 50-55 degree water). I cut it in Fall, but its been slowly growing all winter, but all of the sudden more are popping up faster. Actually, other than the leaves being wrinkled (due to a screen cover to keep my cat away), they're extremely green and healthy. Can't wait to put it back outside. I didn't get any 'clubs' from it last year, so maybe this year. You can also see behind it a cattail has started to grow, too.
DSCN4332.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
JB this is a bit off topic but would you mind sharing about your screen cover? Is it on a frame? How do you have it secured on your tank?

I have a water trough that I need to get a cover on. I have a pond net on it but am having a hard time attaching neatly to the sides. Would like something more permanent.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB this is a bit off topic but would you mind sharing about your screen cover?

2x4 frame, with 2x2s across the middle to support the screen (my cat sits on it all the time). The 2x2s rest on the top of the stock tanks while the 2x4s fit snug over the edges. The screen is some sort of thick material meant to be stronger against pets compared to normal window screen. We've got it stapled every 4 or 5 inches.

DSCN4355.jpg

DSCN4356.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it's just to keep the cat out, 1/2" hardware cloth is very strong, not too expensive.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be to keep fish from accidently jumping out as well as keeping birds or neighboorhood cats from fishing ; )

Is the hardware cloth similiar to chicken wire fence?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hardware cloth (it may have a different name in your area) is welded wire mesh with square or rectangular holes, and is MUCH stronger than chicken wire. You can get it in different mesh sizes, usually from 3/8 " sq., 1/2" sq., 1"x1/2", 1"x 1", and 2"x 2" (at least around here). I've used it for years on my pigeon lofts, where it even keeps out raccoons, who can tear chicken wire with no problem. Just make sure you get the galvanized type for around water.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am going to use hardware cloth to make a mouse guard in the bee hives, the 1/2 stuff, the bees can go in the mice not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My question is when do you introduce your plants back into your pond? Is it when the pond sustains a certain water temp? I have plants I kept inside and in OKlahoma the weather is so up and down. Literally last week and this week we had 80degree day with next day being only 50.

Ask a Question