Squidheads Pond, Waterfall & Stream Build

Reaction score
I'm not sure! I would guess in the corner,shed side, opposite the waterfall. I am guessing that's where any floating debris would end up? I might just wait until I am at the point of testing, tweaking and flushing things. I will probably fill it up and let it run for a day or so to make adjustments and flush any construction debris out of the plumbing. Then I'll do a 100% water change. When I'm doing the adjusting I could throw some floating things in to see where they end up and put the skimmer there. It will be near the top, I should only have to move a little bit. The skimmer is just going to recirculate directly back to the pond and is just for collecting floating junk when I'm not there, at night, and durring stormswhen most crap has a chance to fall in. I guess it's kind of overkill for such a small pond. Just one of those things, usually when I set up a tank, I may skip something that doesn't seem necessary, then when the time comes for it to be of use, I say " I wish I did that when I thought of it".

Reaction score
Based on your design, and where the waterfall and stream are, you will likely see the water swirl clockwise. It will shoot down your stream, bump the opposite wall in front if it, and then start turning to the right. [Of course, we can have some fun and put the Coriolis Effect to the test, which says that water in the northern hemisphere turns counter-clockwise and in the southern hemisphere goes clockwise. Which, of course, is just a myth but amusing to test].

That would mean that you should either put it on the wall that is on the side of the shed, or at worst that corner that is closest to the patio.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Based on your design, and where the waterfall and stream are, you will likely see the water swirl clockwise. It will shoot down your stream, bump the opposite wall in front if it, and then start turning to the right. [Of course, we can have some fun and put the Coriolis Effect to the test, which says that water in the northern hemisphere turns counter-clockwise and in the southern hemisphere goes clockwise. Which, of course, is just a myth but amusing to test].

That would mean that you should either put it on the wall that is on the side of the shed, or at worst that corner that is closest to the patio.

I figured either one would work also. I just wasn't sure what the effect the bubble perculation from the disc aerater would have on it, if any. Oh Well, got to go place a little more concrete or plumbing, unsure weather for today better check weather.com first.

Reaction score
the bubbles will end up spinning in the same manner as everything else. I'll be curious to hear what kinda directional spin you get when you turn on the drain.

I can't imagine it would turn counterclockwise, as that would mean it will be fighting against your stream flow coming down.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
the bubbles will end up spinning in the same manner as everything else. I'll be curious to hear what kinda directional spin you get when you turn on the drain.

I can't imagine it would turn counterclockwise, as that would mean it will be fighting against your stream flow coming down.

Of course you realize you are tempting me to camouflage several small powerheads and make the water spin against the grain just to mess with your head:regular_waving_emot

That makes sense. I guess to put it closest to the patio would do the best job and it would be hidden from the main viewing areas.

Reaction score
LOL! Listen, after seeing that BD you built, I wouldn't be surprised if you could make water spin backwards! LOL!

Yeah, you won't see the mouth of the skimmer if it's on the inward side of the pond. You'll see which way your water swirls when you fill it up and do a dry run for sure.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
LOL! Listen, after seeing that BD you built, I wouldn't be surprised if you could make water spin backwards! LOL!

Yeah, you won't see the mouth of the skimmer if it's on the inward side of the pond. You'll see which way your water swirls when you fill it up and do a dry run for sure.

I guess I shouldn't complain about the heat because it isn't raining 5" a day again......yet! But today has to be the hottest most humid day so far. I had to change my skivves every hour because it feels like something I haven't done since I was like 4 years old or something.

Reaction score
LOL! Pond building in the south in late spring truly is harrowing. I'm glad I finished mine before this kinda weather hit. You're lucky you ain't building in July or August. LOL!

Reaction score
Just checked to see where I had left off. I have to download some pictures, but I am much too lazy for that now. Since the last picture I posted I have:
  • Installed a DIY skimmer. Well, it's partially DIY. I intended to just use a pool skimmer weir, basket and mounting gaskets and have it gravity feed to my main pump so I wouldn't have 2 pumps. But, I started thinking of how labor intensive that would be and decided to just make this part a little easier, so I made a DIY basin for the weir to sit in, then I'll use a submersible pump in that basin to shoot the water back out to the pond or stream.
  • I have installed the plumbing and airline to the location of the pump.
  • I ran the plumbing and airline up the back wall and concreted everthing in place.
  • I have put a final grade on the coping stone shelf. The Coping stones will be partially submerged, about 3" under the water surface.
I still have to put the final grade on the stream bed and do a little last minute scraping and shaping of the pond walls and floor. When That's done a trip to the landscape supply to get the additional stone I need and then the liner can be installed. I am hoping by the end of this weekend to have that accomplished. Then all I need to do is finish putting together the filter in-ards, run the plumbing to the waterfall. Build the waterfall. Run the electric and finish the drainage that will divert runoff away from the pond. Then the final landscaping............. Holy Crap, this will never end:yikesu:

Ask a Question