Started Constructing Waterfall

Reaction score
Did a little diggin over the weekend and got a portion of the liner installed for the waterfall. Had a couple dead ash trees I had to get out of the way. Took them out first. Had done some previous digging to get some ideas on shape but here is what I'm working with. This waterfall will start from about 6-7'. The area to the right will be a seating/fire pit. To the left of that will be the waterfall with a small holding pool next to the seating area.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Here is the beginning. I started running into problems right away. With the elevation that I'm dealing retaining the surrounding soil is a problem. This area is also pure sand which continued to collapse as I dug. To fix this issue I dug the whole area out and built all my waterfall stages with slabs of concrete I had laying around for another project. This worked out really well and creates a nice retaining wall and base for the waterfall. I have a few more slabs and big rocks to set for the upper falls but it’s getting close.

One thing I'm learning quick is, that it’s hard to replicate nature. I have lots of different type stones and its difficult to blend them all together to make it look right.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 402

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its starting to shape up
As good as we think we are mother nature is better

Reaction score
Been raining the past few days so I've made little progress. Also been moving every rock at least 10 times. Been working on the spill ways on the bottom and doing some foam work.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 352

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
10 times that sounds about right to get the been there a long time look..
keep us up dated

Reaction score
Here is an update for my waterfall build. Between collecting rocks and building my pre filter I've not had much time on this.

This weekend I built my stairs down to the base of the waterfall and stacked a few rocks. I have some blue stone that I'm going to set for the stair treads. I'm getting closer to being able to start forming for the concrete patio and fire pit that sits right of the falls.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
I got the best shovel in the world. My MF2310 front loader/backhoe. With out it those rocks would of never made it to my pond. Some of these are close to 600lbs. I have one that I'm really proud of that sits on the edge of my pond that is close to 3500lbs.

Ask a Question