Starting Over

Reaction score
Country
United States
The rocks in the pond look natural, but they trap the crap which decomposes making the pond into an unflushed toilet. A bottom drain leading to a mechanical filter of some type which removes the crud would be a huge improvement.

A filter pit with a cover could solve the problem of the pipe freeze up in the winter if you shut the circulation down. The benefits of a filter pit would be the filtration could be gravity fed from the drain thus being more energy efficient when circulating water through the filter. The filtration and piping could be more easily kept from freezing being underground. The filtration system would also be easier to keep out of sight.

Not sure I understand what that would look like. Sounds good though. Do you have a site where I could see that explained. I know all my rocks look great in the pond but bring a lot of problems with it. I've looked at vacuums, but when I read the reviews I'm discouraged from purchasing one. Thought about using a sump pump to clean out the muck. I have a friend with more of a small lake than a pond. She uses a sump pump to clean her's out. Her pond has no liner. There is enough clay in her soil that keeps her pond from losing water. She had huge, giant koi until a 100 year flood washed everything out. I will start researching filter pits. Thanks for info

Last edited by a moderator:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing to have done if you knew you had a leak was to get something to save some of your fish .I got those big water tanks with cages around them that my neighbor cut the top out of and each holds 2000 gallons and they come smaller also .They are great help to have around

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The rocks in the pond look natural, but they trap the crap which decomposes making the pond into an unflushed toilet

Mmmm... gonna disagree with this comment, just to keep the conversation balanced. We have a rocked pond / gravel bottom and it's definitely not an "unfleshed toilet". There are conflicting opinions on this subject and many factors that have to be considered. It's been debated plenty of times - no need to replay that here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group, that is a beautiful pond you have. Love the water fall.

Ask a Question