Stock tank cracked!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Snow and ice can be destructive, but living here, the sun will destroy guaranteed. I have to keep covers on everything that sits outside.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 other stock tanks that sit out all winter filled with water and never had a problem. I'm guessing a defect in the tank. It never froze.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 outside and they have been outside for years but the rubber tuff one I put in the basement to hold plants and some baby fish as I catch them so I can give people fish on my list of people who want them .Problem is the people who want them list is growing every year now .Could have been a flaw like you said because those are made to stay out .My neighbor uses them for his horses and like one of mine one of his has a built in heater .I have never used the heater in my stock tank but I know he uses his .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have 3 other stock tanks that sit out all winter filled with water and never had a problem. I'm guessing a defect in the tank. It never froze.

I have an indoor PVC container for my aquaponics system that failed beause of a dent that was pushed back out but ultimately sprung a leak.
I was able to repair it with some PVC cement.
What are the rubbemaid containers made out of?
I wonder if a similar situation could be the cause.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Pretty sure Rubbermaid's are also PVC. They say they add a UV inhibitor to their 'Brute' line. Varying plastic durometers and wall thickness will determine the flexibility.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If I sat out by my pond at this time of year, I would definitely catch a cold.........:rolleyes:

As for the freezing aspect, whenever I build anything outdoors I take into consideration the effects of freezing water. Freezing temperatures can be incredibly destructive.
A rather good excuse for a number of hot toddies Mitch, out you go :LOL:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pretty sure Rubbermaid's are also PVC. They say they add a UV inhibitor to their 'Brute' line. Varying plastic durometers and wall thickness will determine the flexibility.

I'm not a fan of the "Brute" containers.
There was a study on them a while ago that demonstrated the plasticizers contained in them are fatal to some organisms.
Any manufatured plastic product that is made to allow for flexibility will contain plasticizers.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a look at the crack in the tank from the outside today. Still some ice on inside. 1 1/2" right along the bottom curve. I guess once you start cutting holes in these for drains etc it could cause stess points. Any good ideas on what might work as a patch or is it not worth the risk?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Internet has several fixes of marine adhesive or JB Weld. I sent the company an email as to the warranty but because the bottom of the tank has holes drilled in it the warranty would be voided. It seems that every cracked tank on the internet has the crack in the same place, right where mine is cracked!
The tank is up off the ground so that may have something to do with the damage. Have to wait for warmer weather to do anything. 23*!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mrsclem, I fixed two cracked preforms and one stock tank, using my favorite goop. PL roofing goop. I put a lot over the crack , cut a piece of liner stuck it on, then coated the edges under and over of the liner squished it down. It has held for 4 years now. Did the same on the outside if I can reach the crack. Let it dry for a bit.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought about using that but wasn't sure if it would hold. I will give it a try when it warms up. I have another tank but really don't want to plumb a new tank. Thanks-

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Np. I use a lot. Fill the crack, squish down the piece of liner, fill under all the edges. WITH GLOVES ON cover the edges smooth it down. Let dry.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a reply back from Rubbermaid. Stock tanks are considered commercial products and are covered by a 1 year warranty. They do not recommend using any type of solvent or adhesive. They also said even though they don't recommend it, plastic welding is the best option. Guess they want to sell more tanks.
I will make sure the tanks are not elevated next winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My one tank is a 1000 gallon stock tank, rubbermaid. When I used my tractor to move it, I stuck a tong though the tank. The tear is around 20 inches down. I fixed it using goop and liner, 4 plus years ago.

I did clean the hole well, acetone, roughed it up a bit with some sand paper. Did the same to fix the two preforms that cracked right on the upper bend. They lasted for a few years, I finally got tired of them heaving in the winter so I yanked and put in liners.

I don't have a way to plastic weld, that might be the best method.

Ask a Question