Stouty's Pond

Reaction score
Nice pond. I like the waterfall concept you used. Did you just use a bulkhead or just use fittings and silicone? I only ask since I am putting in a stock tank filter and do no want to use an actual waterfall weir.

Reaction score
Well we just sold our house and we close on 1/6/2010. So the pond and all my hard work will b left behind, i did take all my pumps, filters, plants, fish and some rocks they are living in a tank i have in my basement at the new house. So ill b building a new pond this spring bigger and better than the old i'm thinking at least 1,000 gal. Lookin for ideas and help again from all u great ppl

Reaction score
it all depends on how much i have to spend on the liner. If i get a PVC liner i know a rubber one is better but is it worth the savings for the PVC still will b .45 mil. Rocks i have a unlimited supply my neighbors are farmers with piles and piles of em i pick through em to get the cool lookin ones.

Reaction score
Buy liner now! You can get a great price on it in the winter!

I'm assuming you're talking about rocks to go around the outside of the pond and not inside the pond, correct? Remember, no rocks inside a pond!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use 45 mil epdm, but..will say i know someone whos had their pond for atleast 7 years i can remember with a 20 mil pvc liner and no problems and they line their bottom and walls with stone too! i would not line a pond bottom with stone myself, but to each their own, of course they keep their fish numbers low. they have 3 24" koi in 1500 gals. they also use a 100 gal skippy filter.

Reaction score
well i will have a couple of rocks in the pond i make a cave like structure for the fish that's fine right other than its clear of rocks, with the exception of a few that the kids throw in but they get taken out and and kids get chased with a paintball gun haha. But yea i probably will get it this winter thanks keeper

Reaction score
no rocks in the pond. you're creating a spot for a fish to bump or scrape itself. Remember that koi are river fish and can move quickly. If spooked, your fish can slam into those rocks/cave.

If you want a spot for your fish to hide, use plants and build yourself one of koiguys floating rings so the koi don't nibble your roots. They will hide under the plant ring if needed.

When it comes to ponds, I pretty much leave it up to you in terms of filters, BD's, UV's, whatever you want to do is your perogative. But rocks is definitely something I get heated about. No rocks! No rocks! No good comes from rocks in a pond! LOL!

Reaction score
well i belive u know your stuff no rock in my pond then, but i will b makin my cave thing behind my waterfall with a light and a foger/mister and only use the liner how bout that

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a few rock cave,s in my ponds also.
my rocks are a little weathered and rounded and i don't have too much trouble with them in the pond..
My koi have plenty of room to move around them.
I will get some scuffs when they all get together in the spring spawns..
The rocks usually will have a nice coating of algae to keep them slick

Reaction score
ok iv been thinking about my pond and i think im going to make it a 10'x10'x4' probably around 2500 gallons and i was thinking about doing 1 55gal skippy would that b enough?

Reaction score
no. not enough. Each 55 gal skippy should cover 1-1,500 gallons of pond. So you'll need at minimum 2 of these. 2 55's and 1 30 would be even better. Remember it's more filtration the better!

Ask a Question