Stouty's Pond

Reaction score
what if i go with a 8x8x4 . its more of a triangle shape so a it would b about a 1500gal im trying to save on a pump ans filtration media. just a thought

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could but when you think big and then go smaller :disappointed_anim:
When you get done and fill it .
All you will think about is I should of made it bigger
Go large and add the extra filter later

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep...if the fish load stays on the lower side the one barrel will suffice, when, and if your bio load is too much for a single barrel add one. but more filtration is not a problem but less can be.

Reaction score
ok lets say i stayed with the 10'x10' pond and went with 2 55gal "skippys" what kinda pump we talking about and price. i would like to go bigger but its all about the Benjamins. I have 5 6"-8" gold fish and 1 7" shubunkin and i would like to get atleast 4 kio

Reaction score
what ever will give me the bast bang for the buck. i have no preferences, right now i have a submersible pump i uses last year on my old pond not sure if it will b big enough for the new pond

Reaction score
Personally, I converted from a submersible to an external a few years back and haven't looked back.

You'll get more power for the wattage. The pump might be a little more expensive up front, but you will make for it in electricity costs within a short period. Plus, you don't have to get your hands wet fishing it out of the pond when it gets clogged, etc.

You don't mention your budget, but I highly recommend the Sequence 750 as an option, as it's a real workhorse. PM DoDad for a price, as I think he sells them. Evolution is another brand that folks compare to Sequence, but there's been some issue on the smaller pumps with the wattage being accurate. But, they are about $100 cheaper. Make sure you get one with a priming pot, as it will catch all the gunk BEFORE it enters the pump and is then shredded and returned to your pond. You can usually find 'em with free shipping.

Reaction score
how hard is it and is it worth it to put a bottom drain in my pond with a liner. How would i go about securing it to both sides of the liner. If someone could steer me to a thread or something on this wit would b great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
"well i was thinking about doing a real BD"cool::fish::cold:

Stouty109 said:
well i was thinking about doing a real BD but i i have never heard of a retro BD. Whats this?

Reaction score
a retro bottom drain is for those of us who inherit ponds that never had a real bottom drain installed when the pond was initially built and now want one.

AquaArt makes one--that's the one I have and it actually works great. Tetra makes one too, but it plumbs from the top so the water pipe is always sticking up, which I don't like as the fish can bump into it. The AquaArt one plumbs from the side, so your piping lays flat.

AquaArt claims that you can make your piping go up and over the edge of the pond and not have to pop a hole in. I tried that route and it did not work for me. I couldn't get the water to go over the pond edge and into my barrel. So, I just popped a hole in the side of the liner and ran it through. It was really easy to do.

I do think D&RW claimed that they did get it to work with the water going over the edge. You'll have to search for that post or PM him.

I can't imagine DoDad can't get you one of these BD's if you want one. Or a real one either...

Ask a Question