Strange plant growing on top of water??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been away for a month and have come back to find a strange plant creating a thick carpet of vegetation on top of the pond. We would love to know what it is? How it got there and how to get rid of it. Some pictures are attached.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 45

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Almost looks like a sphagnum moss of some sort. Plants can come in on birds, wild animals, unsure how to remove it (ie if a fish of some sort like a koi would eat it) other than manually.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1655656489603.gif
@hmhkent

Kinda looks like Azolla to me in that last closer up photo. It can change colors I believe. Does it look like this close up:

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_4464.JPG

Not sure how to get rid of it tho. I had it in my pond and it just went away slowly for some reason. I like it but something must have discouraged it from continuing to thrive.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thought it might be azolla too, but the pic of the net scooping it up it looks like it is much thicker than azolla more similar to sphagnum moss…..maybe

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thought it might be azolla too, but the pic of the net scooping it up it looks like it is much thicker than azolla more similar to sphagnum moss…..maybe
Yeah, a little like broccoli heads, when you try to zoom in. A good, close-up pic might help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is reindeer horned in shape and grows much thicker than azolla. But pretty much all surface carpets like calm still waters ie duckweed azolla all found in ponds and only found trapped in areas of lakes . scoop it all off thats a must as you don't want to kill it while its in the pond. INCREASE water flow in a big way, it looks like there isn't any.. If that doesn't work you may have to look at professionals and chemicals

Ask a Question