addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol wb it does not matter to me if it is the plants, the bog, pure luck. All I know is my pond gives me no algae issues. I have just the bog as a filter, I know old technology, plants in the bog and the pond. Nothing else and it works, that makes me and my pond happy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol callingcollen, I have a masters in science, ended up working in medical, care giver nature. My honey has learned I will give the shirt off my back without even thinking about it. I care for all living things except stink bugs!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Waterbug;
I don't want to dispute scientific fact, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I've observed an interesting "phenomenon". For about seven years now, I've been looking after a garden center's pond division, and every year we get our hornwort from the grower about ten days before the water hyacinths are ready, so I fill two identical fibreglass tubs with water (pumped directly from three ponds used for irrigation purposes) and place the hornwort in one of them. When the hyacinths come in, they go in the second tub. Every year, without fail, the water in the hornwort tub remains crystal clear, but the water in the plant-free tub goes green within 24 hours. The only variable here is the plants. Am I missing something? Not arguing, mind you, just curious.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a concrete tub and it had plants in no filter no pump not even an aerator and water was clear ,so i agree haro

I even dragged it in the basement for the winter but did put in an aerator and pulled it out and the plants look as healthy as ever

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The second one is after I took them out of the basement and it gave me a place to store one of my extra pumps to keep it wet .Froggie agrees

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Waterbug;
I don't want to dispute scientific fact, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I've observed an interesting "phenomenon". For about seven years now, I've been looking after a garden center's pond division, and every year we get our hornwort from the grower about ten days before the water hyacinths are ready, so I fill two identical fibreglass tubs with water (pumped directly from three ponds used for irrigation purposes) and place the hornwort in one of them. When the hyacinths come in, they go in the second tub. Every year, without fail, the water in the hornwort tub remains crystal clear, but the water in the plant-free tub goes green within 24 hours. The only variable here is the plants. Am I missing something? Not arguing, mind you, just curious.
John
Ya, just makes common sense. And I don't see any scientific facts or double blind studies posted here either, lol. Just because someone says it's "scientific fact" doesn't make it so.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Very nice plants sissy, Goldfish love to spawn in those floating water Hyacinths, and they give good coverage for your pond, just don't let them smother the pond, pond need to have some opened water and good circulation. :) :) :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can't keep them in the pond even in a floating ring aggie my biggest koi just jumps up and pulls the net under and helps herself and destroys them .So they will go into the stock tank .

Reaction score
moms know it all didn't your mother tell you that waterbug .I know i told my sons that a 1000 times a month and they still did not listen .
My Mom believes honey bees bury their hives at night and uncover them in the morning. Crazy isn't it? The weird thing is I'm the one who told her that whooper when I was young. But she still believes it to this day and even though I've told her I'm the one who told it to her and I made it up...but that she doesn't believe. Getting a "fact" into a person's mind only requires a good story.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So who do we believe...............the scientists w/ the big fancy stories of this supposed test and that or us w/ the experience of actually seeing it work in each of our ponds? Guess just to each's own and enjoy all the stories that come down the pike.....try them if we want and toss out the crap!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Don't believe many scientists myself, just look back at history to see how most were wrong! (Read some books like "trust us, were the experts") The simple fact is "if most people believe something to be true, it's usually not!" I could give hundreds of examples, would need a new thread though..... :)

Ask a Question