Suggestions for UV Sterilizer

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Gee DoDad... am I to assume you have a differing opinion? LOL

I know my reef tanks would go to hell without UV.

I have a Viper 800 with transformer that was given to me as part of my "inheirited" pond. It is not yet installed and I have also been told that the electric company would really like for me to use it. So... is it worth hooking up? And even if I do install it...if my water is not green... would it do any good to use it? Can I use it sporatically or does it have to run 24/7? Sam says that if I DO use it... I will have crystal clear water that will make me want to use the pond as a swimming pool... could it?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Don't waste your money on UV for a pond. In 41 years of ponding I have never found a use for one and my pond is crystal clear.
I can think of a couple such as parasite control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your Viper 800 draws 15.20 amps so your electric company will love you. When you hook it up let me know and I'll buy stock in your electric Co.:icon_mrgreen:

I have a Viper 800 with transformer that was given to me as part of my "inheirited" pond. It is not yet installed and I have also been told that the electric company would really like for me to use it. So... is it worth hooking up? And even if I do install it...if my water is not green... would it do any good to use it? Can I use it sporatically or does it have to run 24/7? Sam says that if I DO use it... I will have crystal clear water that will make me want to use the pond as a swimming pool... could it?[/QUOTE]

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
He has a Viper 400 as well. He says it would do the job just as well. I would assume that it would use less electricity. But...is it even worth it?

BTW... in case you missed it... my pond is 13,000 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The viper 400 still draws a lot of amps. My new pond will be 13000 + whatever is in the filters and plumbing. I was going with the viper till I noticed the amps used. Now I have a 240 watt Aqua with wipers.

Reaction score
DoDad said:
Your Viper 800 draws 15.20 amps so your electric company will love you. When you hook it up let me know and I'll buy stock in your electric Co.:icon_mrgreen:

I have a Viper 800 with transformer that was given to me as part of my "inheirited" pond. It is not yet installed and I have also been told that the electric company would really like for me to use it. So... is it worth hooking up? And even if I do install it...if my water is not green... would it do any good to use it? Can I use it sporatically or does it have to run 24/7? Sam says that if I DO use it... I will have crystal clear water that will make me want to use the pond as a swimming pool... could it?
[/QUOTE]To be honest I dont think its worth it. If your waters not green and you dont have parasite problems. I dont run one on my pond. I also dont run them on my reef tanks. For the green water its just a bandaid so the only advantage I see is parasite control. The drawback would be on the power used.

I'm confued though, if that uv draws 15 amps then it means that it is using like 1400 watts. Are you sure its not 1.5 amps? there is a formula to calculate the loss through a transformer that I believe is 25% so on an 18w UV you will actually be using around 24 watts. How many watts is the bulb on the UV you have? I dont believe the costs would be that much. My 675 watts of metal halides over my reef dont even draw that much.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JohnR said:
I can think of a couple such as parasite control.

If you have parasites then you better make better decisions on what you are putting in your pond. 41 years, no known parasites in mine.

UV is great for salt water aquariums, we were building them in the 60's before you could buy them commericially.

Control starts with intelligent pond managment.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If you have parasites then you better make better decisions on what you are putting in your pond. 41 years, no known parasites in mine.

UV is great for salt water aquariums, we were building them in the 60's before you could buy them commericially.

Control starts with intelligent pond managment.
Yep, I agree with you I was just throwing a possible use out there:icon_smile:. I am a firm believer in not throwing stuff in to fix symptoms but to fix the problem itself.

Ask a Question