Tadpole question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have a 25 ft pondless waterfall. I mean it does have a small 1 1/2 square foot area about 4 inches deep where the pump is so it probably isn’t truly completely pondless. I usually clean and run it with a chlorine tab in it just because it is easier to maintain. It’s a beautiful day and i don’t really winter it over. I just drain it refill and turn the pump on. I went to drain it today and saw several tad poles so i stopped the drain and refilled with clean water. So my question is what to do? Should i wait until the tadpoles grow or just turn on the pump as is?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would remove the tadpoles and transfer them to a local waterway because it doesn't sound like they will survive for long in your setup.
Tadpoles need algae to feed on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You could transfer them to a bowl or large saucer and place them in partial sun to grow algae. They don't need a lot of water but bigger makes it easier to maintain. Place a little lettuce in the bowl to get them started.

Ask a Question