Tadpole questions

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I don't have fish in my canal and aqueduct and wanted to get me some tadpoles but never got round to doing it.

Much to my surprise, I discovered last week that indeed there are tadpoles in the canal AND in my aqueduct! I'm so so happy. I don't know if they are frog or toad tadpoles. There's algea for them to eat but do I need to do something else? Maybe some raw oatmeal? I'm guessing they will be fine without doing anything. I've always loved amphibians. There are several snakes in the area which I'm not going to relocate as they are pretty grass snakes. Hoping they don't eat all the frogs up. I'm looking forward to the frog choruses as the only thing one can hear now is my neighbor's air conditioning units which sound like jets taking off.

I'll try and attempt some photos at some point.

Cheers

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey great to hear! congrats on being a tadpole daddy You could throw in some (I think someone said flake food) but most likely they will do ok on their own.

Reaction score
Wildlife if very good of taking care of itself. They will love eating the algae and it is fun watching them grow and change.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good deal on taddies in your stream. I think they will eat bugs by themselves but they like the flake fish food and prolly ground up dog food too. Love to here them sing and wish they would reside in mine. Only see one now and then hiding in the rocks and singing solo in the eve
frogbanjo.gif

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Thanks, I may toss in just a tiny bit of flaky material and see if they respond. I also need to take some photos!!!!!!!!!

I did some quick reads and found that I can help the little fellows by putting some rocks in the aqueduct so they can transition to land (you DON'T want steep slopes they can't crawl out of, that's probably why some ponds aren't good for supporting amphibians).

My canal, OTOH, terminates near the drainpipe in shallow water and transitions to dry land.

You can see where the water is getting shallow near the lady and her baby. I'm extending the tracks over this trestle.

Just completed the other steel and wood trestle (the other 2 photos), the aqueduct is in the background. _

So I'm extending the aqueduct and the tracks. Hauling concrete is hard work and I don't know if it will all be done by this fall; but at least part of it is in operation. Then I need to build me some canal boats. :)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrDave he's been posting his train setup way back in May and he has trains that run all over his place............really cool :twisted:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are some garden railroads from a tour I took here in cincinnati. One day I will put one in.

Attachments

• misc 191.jpg
    misc 191.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 266
  • misc 194.jpg
    misc 194.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 227
  • misc 195.jpg
    misc 195.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 270
  • misc 205.jpg
    misc 205.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 259

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really neat tmann. I think the pond and the trains compliment each other very nicely :twisted:

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
wow im impressed, i can imagine water around lower trestles, maybe a weir, the mind boggles, wish i had the space---flow metres for trains and water...wow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DianeW said:
I wish I could see that! We are a fish/train family!!!

Diane just click on his name and go back and choose to view all his posts and go to the beginning and you can see what he's posted. I think the first post when he joined was in May 2011 :twisted:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, good luck with your tadpoles

Ask a Question