Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants will struggle the first year or two. You can expect that you may need to supplement with fertilizer to keep them thriving until the eco-system is complete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants will struggle the first year or two. You can expect that you may need to supplement with fertilizer to keep them thriving until the eco-system is complete.
Thank you for the heads up, good to know. No problem being patient, I always like a nice surprise in the garden, something you think has died comes back to life, you never know. As part of the build I had transplanted a small holly tree, just stuck it in another garden, really did not do a good job of transplanting it, I just wanted it out of the way for this project. It became "mostly" dead (shout out to Princess Bride fans), never got around to pulling it out but remarkably new growth started to come out of the crown later this Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really, really bright idea putting the pond right under a giant Maple tree in New England, lol. A leaf blizzard is about to begin.

Attachments

• 20231028_091335.jpg
    20231028_091335.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR LOL ABOUT
 net view 3-3.jpg
 net view 3-4.jpg
 net view 3-5.jpg

But here is your next project with the pond i have it where i really don't do too much with the leaves and the pond any more. i place a large net under a water fall that is the negative edge in the intake bay. and the intake bay sucks in 90%of all the leaves

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So once again the rain has caused issues. The rain this past weekend coincided with the leaf drop from the large maple over the pond that I showed in the earlier post. Had netting installed but not strong enough to hold wet leaves of that volume so the netting sagged into the pond. As you know the leaves get heavy and just become a mess.
But now my nice clear pond water looks like dark coffee. Has not really gotten better in two days. Will the bog eventually clear it up or do I need to do a water change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The brown is tannins from the leaves. Eventually yes it will clear
But coming into winter everything slows down the fish the plants and bacteria. Welcome to winter. Plus your pond will never look as good as it did when it was first filled as far as clarity and clean rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The brown is tannins from the leaves. Eventually yes it will clear
But coming into winter everything slows down the fish the plants and bacteria. Welcome to winter. Plus your pond will never look as good as it did when it was first filled as far as clarity and clean rocks
Thanks. Yeah I know it will not be clear forever, but this was very, very dark. Like you cannot see more than 6 inches down. I will just wait it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your also at the point where your do for pea soup . And with the leaves now adding to the bio load I'd say pea soup is around the corner unless the cold delays it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your also at the point where your do for pea soup . And with the leaves now adding to the bio load I'd say pea soup is around the corner unless the cold delays it
True, not worried about that, have read enough about that to be patient with it as the plants grow in. I will have a lot of shade so that will help a little. As you know this Fall has been pretty warm for NE, we just had our first frost last night which is pretty late. The plants I did put in have had more time than I thought to establish themselves. The rocks already have the algae growing on them. Everything has been pretty normal up until this black water lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Pablo whatever you do, don't freak out and change your water. Be patient and wait it out. It will work itself out and changing the water will be starting all over w/your cycling of the beneficial bacteria that are making your pond healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo whatever you do, don't freak out and change your water. Be patient and wait it out. It will work itself out and changing the water will be starting all over w/your cycling of the beneficial bacteria that are making your pond healthy.
Thanks. Yes, I have seen that before, I am always surprised by the people that pop on here to talk about power washing the pond and re-filling, defeats the whole purpose of what you are doing. I was just concerned that I might have something different because it is very dark, just like coffee, had not really seen too many posts where people talked about black water. Green water totally understand, and some water that is tan like tea I have seen before. I will just wait it out, that is fine, less work for me lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Pablo we use activated charcoal to clear tannins. I buy it in pre-filled net bags an place them in spots where they are in contact with running water. I add fresh bags about every six weeks. Relatively cheap, easy, safe and it does help.

Ask a Question