The algae never quits

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How is the algae? Gone? I have loads of it, drives me mad, just reading all this thread to see what to,do about it? I have some floating plants and it just clings and suffocates them, it's like cotton wool, horrible stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is this what you bought off amazon and treated your pond with? Has the algae returned?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@Rach, yes that is the stuff, but I've only done one dosage with that. I'm not sure what the other stuff is I picked up from the local store. In either case, they will discolor the water and/or leave a film on the water shortly after treatment, but that goes away overnight.

Overall the algae is looking great!!! I noticed this weekend that the stuff is completely dying off from the rocks around the edges, so that should clear the way for the rosies to start spawning again. I am still having to clean my pumps daily to remove the algae that has come loose. I haven't checked my phosphate levels in the past few days, maybe I'll get a chance to do that tonight. The last test showed the levels still hanging around 0.25ppm so I'll keep treating until it drops down.

Our weather has taken a complete 180 turn. For the last couple weeks instead of being flooded we're suddenly in a drought. I had to kick on the sprinklers and the yard is still trying to turn brown. The good news though is that I should be able to do a large water change soon and get the gravel bed cleaned out, which will also greatly help with the algae problem. I know the fish aren't as happy not having that heavy carpet to hide under, but the rest of the plants are filling in quite thick so the fish certainly aren't exposed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers,have ordered a test kit to see if it is the problem and then order the chemical.,I have been using something else,,can't thinkmofmthe name biputmthatnismhavimg no affect at the moment.

Glad it is clearing for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone with algea problems if you can get it your side of the pond I strongly recomend Cloverleaf its totally safe and natural and it normally clears your pond within 4 days giving you crystal clear water .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hee hee, my typing! And not checking! Never enough time, always doing stuff in a rush! I think I meant, but at the moment it is having no affect!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I can't believe there is still so much algae floating free in my pond. I still have to do daily cleanings of the pump baskets, including full disassembly twice a week. A couple days ago I netted a large clump of algae off the bottom of the large pond. It's really nice to see the fish again though. The phosphates continue to hover around 0.25ppm. I might have to start adding the treatment more often to really knock it down. Is it possible that with so much algae dying off, it is adding more phosphates to the water? I guess there's not much else to do but continue treatments and give it time. Maybe the stuff will completely die off over the Winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put in a huge plant bog, no more bad algae issues, nothing left for them to live on.

In the past, arizona pond, I used peroxide to wipe out a bad bloom of string algae. I don't use anything here, except plants, lots of plants.

Ask a Question