The cosmetic side of the pond build begins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its been a time coming what with Jeff almost dying then he taking a year out to fall in love but at last we are back on track.
Yesterday Val I and our neighbour Jeff set out to buy the building materials for the cosmetic side of the pond build spending a grand total of £296 on them and a new parasol for the pond .
This parasol has a 3 metre reach which will cover the pond but this parasol will hang above the pond rather than stand by it and is made of metal rather than wood.

http://www.diy.com/departments/mallorca-35m-brown-taupe-overhanging-parasol/307371_BQ.prd

We chose a grey colour for the parasol itself so that it will take the the heat of the day and refect the sunlight back thus cooling the pond .
The parasol can be stored and it rotates 90 deg simply by pressing a button it can be secured against the wind by adding a number of guide lines [our idea].
The parasol can be raised and lowered by removing a split pin.
We chose a reddish gravel to match the gravel where the QT tank is situated .
Jeff will hopefully be starting this next saturday barring bad weather and we look to be finished by earlyAugust at the latest September .
I look forwards to taking photo's as we go along

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
sound like a busy time but the fish will enjoy it .
Agreed sissy and we can then enjoy putting the finishing touches to everything plants shrubs etc plus create a veg garden for Val out of the dumpy bag when wevbe finished as well as her beds

DAve

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fresh veggies are always great .I am building a new veggie garden myself .I had a small one but the strawberries took over the bed .New one will have potato's ,radish's and zuccini and not sure what else

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Fresh veggies are always great .I am building a new veggie garden myself .I had a small one but the strawberries took over the bed .New one will have potato's ,radish's and zuccini and not sure what else
I think Val will go for things like potatoes carrots spring peasbroad beans etc but that at this moment in time is a project to be done at the end of the build .
BigLou photo's you shall, have thanx Maria cant wait for it to be finished :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The fun part! Can't wait to see what you do!
We hope to base everything around a bhuddist theme , we are hoping the parasol will give us 360 degrees of uninterrupted viewing with the parasol hanging directly over the pond .
Theres a bit more in the way of wall to build some shoeing up of the pathway then we have to level off the ground paint the pond and filter housing then lastly add the anti root matting and gravel.
Add all our wooden koi to the house wall as well as around the pond add plants and bhudda statues etc and that should be it finished .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx CJ Jeff will be doing the build , if I try to help , I only end up doing too much and regretting it after only 15 minutes so its down to Jeff to make this work .
Did you check out the cool looking parasol which at 3 metres overlaps the pond and when susppended above the pond should give it plenty of cooling shade hense the grey colouration .
it will look good when its finished I have faith in Jeff to make our dreams a reality .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds great Dave hope your project turns out better than you inpmagined it to be. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
With a parasol like that it'd be nice to have a patio area beside the pond so you could swing the parasol over that if you wanted to have tea or a bbq sitting round a table beside your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Johan sadly we are in reclaimed garden , I doubt very much if we could fit everything in however the Parasol is now in place it covers the pond completely with overlap and I've a feelling the pond temperature will be going down some in the shade which is what we wanted .
Jeff starts on the wall tomorrow then its a slow slog to the finishing post :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question