The hole in my backyard

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tbendl, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tbendl

Lisaebetten

Looks great, you are moving fast!!!

Lisaebetten, Aug 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. tbendl

tbendl T

Lisaebetten, I agree, unfortunately it is on the viewing side of the pond. I could maybe do one of those frog spitting or angel peeing kinda things on that ledge though. Probably not the angel peeing but you get the general idea... lol I am so excited to start the landscaping portion, like finding great rocks to break up the necklace, and working on the bog to get great plants, and building a little floating impatiens island and working on the waterfall, and..... well you get it. I just have to finish stacking concrete rocks and figure out the inside and plumbing of the bog and.... well like I said, the list just continues. :)

tbendl, Aug 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. tbendl

Lisaebetten

Wow I have been building my pond for MONTHS now, you need to come get me going!!!! YES you need goldfish!!!!! Hawks should mess with your kitty, they like smaller less combative meals. You will get plant from ponders here. I have saved hundreds of dollars from the kind people here who share their plants

4. tbendl

Lisaebetten

hawks SHOULDN'T mess with your kitty! sorry to make your heart skip a beat!!

5. tbendl

tbendl T

Well I was pretty shocked at him coming straight into the yard and grabbing a bird, and it was a big bird. And I know, everyone keeps telling me I need fish. We will wait and see how the pond cycles through this next year with plants and the bog. I have to have some cover for them and just don't know how I will handle the whole "circle of life" with the birds fishing in my pond... I'm one of those sad sappy types that can't even go to the zoo because seeing all the caged animals makes me cry, imagine how I feel when I lose Fluffy or Skippy or Nemo to all the terns and egrets, and herons we have in the area.

tbendl, Aug 13, 2014
  6. tbendl

snoozer

Wow! What a change from your first pictures. Where did you get your concrete edging? I really like it, great for sitting and listening to the water.

snoozer, Aug 15, 2014
  7. tbendl

tbendl T

So I was trying to envision the top wall section of the bog, should I put rocks, pavers, or potted plants.... I have decided on this... Now to figure out how to get him to stay there. Sorry it's a little blurry, it was taken from inside this morning.

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    tbendl, Aug 20, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  8. tbendl

Lisaebetten

sometimes i think i am putting a pond with a slate bridge in just to give my cats new places to sit and be entertained!

Lisaebetten, Aug 20, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  9. tbendl

tbendl T

LOL, I understand completely. This pond is turning into his new entertainment station. I don't know what I'm going to do when the bog goes in and the birds come to bathe. It's going to be a blood bath. :/

tbendl, Aug 20, 2014
  10. tbendl

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I had frogs watching my build, they were under the liner as I was building it had to keep removing them. Cute cats

addy1, Aug 20, 2014
  11. tbendl

tbendl T

Yeah I had the same thing. Had to check every time I unrolled the liner to cut or shape it so I didn't trap any of them. Steve said he saw a big one this morning, softball size.

tbendl, Aug 20, 2014
  12. tbendl

tbendl T

And I'm so sorry @snoozer I missed your question. I got the pavers from Lowes. They seem to be working well and I like the irregular shape of them.

tbendl, Aug 21, 2014
  13. tbendl

snoozer

Not a problem. I haven't spent the time by the pond that I normally do so haven't given much thought to redoing the edges or the potential bog build . We started remodeling the kitchen so the fish get fed and the skimmer cleaned and not much else. I fogot what a mess remodeling is.

snoozer, Aug 31, 2014
    tbendl likes this.
  14. tbendl

lol we did two rental refurbs this summer, it is a mess and always takes a lot longer than you think. My poor yard and pond have been totally on their own, luckily the pond takes no care from me to keep functioning beautifully.

addy1, Aug 31, 2014
  15. tbendl

snoozer

Don't forget scope creep. The project always creeps beyond what you thought which adds material and appliance cost. I am 58 and getting my first ever dishwasher.

snoozer, Aug 31, 2014
    sissy likes this.
  16. tbendl

Yeah we look around and next thing you know we are updating / fixing things that were not even on the list to be taken care of. And on and on it goes.

addy1, Aug 31, 2014
  17. tbendl

snoozer

lol, you got that right. The 3 foot of wall i wanted to remove turned into 9, which turned into steel beam, which turned into....... Well, you get the idea. Good thing is I will be able see the pond from anywhere in the kitchen once the spruce tree is trimmed.

snoozer, Aug 31, 2014
  18. tbendl

tbendl T

A few pictures from this morning. Still lots to do but it is coming along. And I don't know why when I post pictures from my phone it flips them bit since I don't know how to fix it, enjoy a good neck stretch this morning.

Attached Files:

tbendl, Sep 3, 2014
    j.w, Aaron S and sissy like this.
  19. tbendl

looking good!

addy1, Sep 3, 2014
  20. tbendl

tbendl T

I am loving it. My family thinks I'm nuts working in this heat but I love seeing the progress, rock by rock.

tbendl, Sep 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question