The hole in my backyard

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't found any ponders nearby yet. I did just get off the phone with a local nursery that may have some lilies but not sure if they sell WH. Hopefully I'll have a chance to go look tomorrow. I will look up pondplants.com. Thanks Timvz, I was looking for an online option.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Edging has begun!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! Looks great!

You may find some irises on sale at the big box stores - even the straggly looking ones seem to flourish given time. They are tough to kill!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks really nice! I like those flat stones and I would be sitting there on the side w/ my feet hanging in the water and letting the fish nibble on my toes. You aren't having fish tho..................oh see what you will miss :LOL:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I go back and forth on the fish. Although yesterday while working on the pond, I huge hawk swept in and tried to grab a bird. I am now worried that fish=hawks=my sweet kitty Calvin being abducted by those flying a-holes.... Twisty logic but you know, whatever... Here's a few more pictures, I'm starting the waterfall and winging it. Thanks j.w. I'm pretty happy with it so far. And Lisak1, I will check at the box stores. Here's a few updated pictures

Attachments

• ponda.jpg
    ponda.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 205
  • pondb.jpg
    pondb.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 207
  • pondc.jpg
    pondc.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 233

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of hawks here, they ignore the fish, mainly go after frogs and other little creepy crawlies.

Reaction score
Rocks and plants are harder to find than I thought and we have no pond stores nearby. I guess I'm off to check nurseries. Has anyone had luck finding plants this late in the season from Lowes? I'd just like to get a few algae eaters in since it's been so dang hot here lately.[/Q
There are ponders here who thin their plants out and will ship to you for postage! I've gotten plants and beautiful lilies from countryescapes . I have a request into Addy1 for her next clean up! You can ask these or put a new thread for requests.

Reaction score
So I started filling it with water before I left, and of course we had a crazy thunderstorm come through while I was gone blowing the liner back into the pond. Thank goodness the hubby was home to drag it out and weigh it down with some rocks. I am rock hunting this weekend and hopefully can get some of the edging done, weather permitting. Now the plant learning starts. :) However, for now, I have a pond and not some swampy area in my back yard!!
I love that spot in the middle that jets into the pond! It looks like water should be spilling onto it from a falls box and then spilling in both sides of the pond!!!

Reaction score
Rocks and plants are harder to find than I thought and we have no pond stores nearby. I guess I'm off to check nurseries. Has anyone had luck finding plants this late in the season from Lowes? I'd just like to get a few algae eaters in since it's been so dang hot here lately.
Start asking local farmers, be brave and go know on the door even if you don't know them (take your hubby for protection)!!! You will find a link to a pile of rock somewhere. Craigslist again, I got 90% of mine for free by keeping my eyes peeled, asking around and being in the right spot at the right time. Although I have been planning my pond for over a year now so I knew to start looking before I needed them.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisaebetten, I agree, unfortunately it is on the viewing side of the pond. I could maybe do one of those frog spitting or angel peeing kinda things on that ledge though. Probably not the angel peeing but you get the general idea... lol I am so excited to start the landscaping portion, like finding great rocks to break up the necklace, and working on the bog to get great plants, and building a little floating impatiens island and working on the waterfall, and..... well you get it. I just have to finish stacking concrete rocks and figure out the inside and plumbing of the bog and.... well like I said, the list just continues. :)

Reaction score
Lisaebetten, I agree, unfortunately it is on the viewing side of the pond. I could maybe do one of those frog spitting or angel peeing kinda things on that ledge though. Probably not the angel peeing but you get the general idea... lol I am so excited to start the landscaping portion, like finding great rocks to break up the necklace, and working on the bog to get great plants, and building a little floating impatiens island and working on the waterfall, and..... well you get it. I just have to finish stacking concrete rocks and figure out the inside and plumbing of the bog and.... well like I said, the list just continues. :)
Wow I have been building my pond for MONTHS now, you need to come get me going!!!! YES you need goldfish!!!!! Hawks should mess with your kitty, they like smaller less combative meals. You will get plant from ponders here. I have saved hundreds of dollars from the kind people here who share their plants

Reaction score
Wow I have been building my pond for MONTHS now, you need to come get me going!!!! YES you need goldfish!!!!! Hawks should mess with your kitty, they like smaller less combative meals. You will get plant from ponders here. I have saved hundreds of dollars from the kind people here who share their plants
hawks SHOULDN'T mess with your kitty! sorry to make your heart skip a beat!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I was pretty shocked at him coming straight into the yard and grabbing a bird, and it was a big bird. And I know, everyone keeps telling me I need fish. We will wait and see how the pond cycles through this next year with plants and the bog. I have to have some cover for them and just don't know how I will handle the whole "circle of life" with the birds fishing in my pond... I'm one of those sad sappy types that can't even go to the zoo because seeing all the caged animals makes me cry, imagine how I feel when I lose Fluffy or Skippy or Nemo to all the terns and egrets, and herons we have in the area.

Ask a Question