WP_20170821_18_58_12_Pro.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I guess it's hard to identify which type?
As for planting, I think in pots, but how deep in the water? Probably need the pads to float on top?

Existing pads will adjust quickly to water depth. I would start with about 12-16" of water over the crown, so it can get going then can drop it down from there to the depth you want it. Just wouldn't exceed much more than 24" or so over the crown.

Lilies will grow bare root wedged between rocks. Just beware if it takes off growth wise, left unattended it can grow all over the place. Pots keep it under control or at least easier to manage.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
should they only be potted in the pond? for the pond, how far down max from top of the water. I've read some plants don't like to be fully submerged.
Mine is growing in the bog gravel, constant wet, along the stream, root barely wet, stream runs twice a day, in a pot crown under water, in a small pond just sort of floating mixed in with parrots feather. Take your pick

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pots keep it under control or at least easier to manage.
I pot all of my lilies, easier to take care of and control. The few that jumped the pot where extremely heavy when I tried to groom them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I pot all of my lilies, easier to take care of and control. The few that jumped the pot where extremely heavy when I tried to groom them.

Yeah, I am going to have to get in my pond this fall or next spring and trim back the lilies and lotus I let grow bare root. Both have kind of taken over in the 18" deep portion of the pond. It looks great for awhile, all of them get alot of big flowers and pads/leaves, but sooner or later I knew i would have to get in there and cut them back. Not looking forward to that as one of my terrapins thinks I am food when I get in the pond to do any plant trimming. She comes out of nowhere too, I try to keep an eye out for her but she sneaks up on me.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lotus really tries to take over. I pulled a small lotus from one of my ponds, it had totally taken over the pond in around 2 years, roots and random tubers everywhere. Nothing else was growing well. The lilies even quit growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The lotus really tries to take over. I pulled a small lotus from one of my ponds, it had totally taken over the pond in around 2 years, roots and random tubers everywhere. Nothing else was growing well. The lilies even quit growing.
this what happens when the lotus takes over, this a from a park we visited while in Japan this summer. We were a few weeks early for the blooms.
WP_20170711_16_08_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20170711_16_21_16_Pro.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine is not that bad yet, but not too far away either. That is a cool looking Lotus jungle.

Ask a Question