Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Here are a few of the turtles who are (for various reasons) not suitable for adoption as pets for the average person and so they live in the sanctuary area for as long as they live (8 to 25+ years). Most have either had major shell fractures or they have weakened immune systems requiring weekly if not daily medical intervention that would not suit someone who is just looking for a friend/pet. The exception is the Mississippi Map turtle, Atlas who is healthy and I keep him with these guys because he is so well tempered and is good company to them providing a balancing force among alpha males as they all treat him as their "son" or "little brother" :D keeping them from getting too independently territorial. The terrariums (2 of them) 125 gallons in size but only have approx. 95 to 100 gallons of water in them.
Turtles 2.jpg
Turtles 3.jpg
Turtles 4.jpg
Turtles 5.jpg
Turtles 6.jpg
Turtles 8.jpg
Turtles 10.jpg
Turtles 11.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PS: If you are thinking "those UV-Sterilizers look a lot like pond type" that is because they are ;) because an "aquarium/fish" grade UV-S that is designed for a 100 gallon tank will get slaughtered in only 40 gallon turtle tanks. My formula is G x 6 , that is how ever many gallons of water the terrarium holds get a UV-S designed for 6 times that or 3 to 4 times that at a minimum. The ones I use are designed for ponds/fountains up to 800 gallons. Also the pond UV-S' have much, much better flow rates and the build quality and performance consistency is far above the fish tank grade. Also the fish tank type sells for about $129.99 for a 100 gallon model whereas the pond type I use in MS-ATR sell for $39.99 for the 850 gallon size.
tttttttttttttttttttttt.jpg

Ask a Question