The Water Change Discussion

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I don't do reg water changes either when i drain my filters ,i take out 180 gals of pond water and add 180 or so each week
When i know a big rain is coming i will drain the filters a few times in a row
I look for big rains to do my major water changes
My fish look happy enough to me

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think water changes are only done in reaction to a problem such as ammonia spikes from over feeding or overstocking or other problems.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry, I am a rambler, I just ramble on. :)

---------------

If ya really want to do a water change, then a safer way is a "trickle water change". Google it. It accomplishes the water change in an extremely slow pace by connecting your water outlet to some drip emitters (stuff that is used for garden irrigation). The old water exits through an outflow. I am told it is beneficial since the exchange happens so slow that only an extremely small percent of your pond water reacts to it so you, fish, and plants will not notice side effects.

The drip emitter output volume determines the water change. Example: There are 168 hours in a week. A Netafim .26 gallons per hour emitter over a week puts out (.26 x 168 ) 43.68 gallons of water. If your pond is very small like my water feature, 435 gallons, then a .26gph emitter gives a 10% weekly water change. Evaporation not taken into consideration. If ya want to take into account of evaporation, then step up to using a .5 gph or two of the .26gph emitters.

Netafim is a specialized drip irrigation material used for underground irrigation for lawns or above ground irrigation for gardens. You will likely have to go to a specialized landscaper business to buy the stuff. There might be other drip irrigation manufacturers that goes down to .26gph, but ya can always find the more common .5 or .9 or 1 or 2 gph emitters. Netafim is bought in rolls so ya can use the remainder on your trees or flower garden. Netafim is expensive. I use Netafim everywhere around my house so I have a few rolls of it. Netafim is different since the emitters are actually inside the tubing and the emiters are built to prevent clogging by a special air cavity and cage inside the emiter in the tubing. Ya can use other drip irrigation material.

I like the Netafim emiters since it allows me to put the drippers inside a pvc pipe, using a selection of pipe reducers, then this pvc pipe goes into the bottom of my water feature. I will do a writeup how I did mine once it is complete. I still have some more work to do on it. I am also going to insulate this and put a heat trace wire so I can run it during the winter.

Your humidity will be a big determination of your water evaporation. Here where I live in Texas, our humidity is anywhere from 0% or up to 90% if it is going to rain. In the 100 degree days with 3% humidity and high winds, with my waterfall, stream, and fountains, I have seen my water feature lose up to 60 gallons in one day.

So, ya need to build the trickle system so ya can easily change the emitters to adjust to the weather for evaporation.

I can't rely on rain. Heh, year of 2011, my house only got 3 inches of rain the entire year. Normally, we get 8~11 inches annually but don't tell the farm land real estate guys; these guys still tell buyers we get up to 12~15 inches of rain, lol. To dryland farm, ya need at least 15 inches of rain; dryland farms exist with 10 inches of rains only if they are lucky enough to be in the exact right spot receiving the rain and if it rains when the crops need it. If anyone is curious how we survive farming, it is due to the Ogallala aquifer and us pumping anywhere from 400~600 gph into our sprinklers for growing season.

------------------------------

From my first few weeks of using water from my well, I noticed that my hard water keeps my KH quite high. KH is the energy source for the nitrification process (google nitrification process); as ammonia is produced by fish and decay, KH is consumed for the nitrification process. If your rain is soft (has a low pH rating), then it can eat up your KH. Eventually, you will have to add baking soda or crushed oyster shells or Mother Nature will have to add something to your pond to raise your KH. KH also buffers your pH so your water does not become too acidic. My water feature is so small and under some cedar elms so I bet Mother Nature does not add much other than dirt and bird poo and very little rain. My well water replenishes my KH. So, I am sure I will never have to add any of the oyster shells or other stuffs. If your pH is really low, then likely your KH will be very low as well (as far as I am aware).

GH is one of the main indicators for how much minerals ya have in the water, and GH is also a pH buffer so that the water does not become too alkaline.

API is a brand name of a good liquid test kit that provies a GH / KH test kit.

Many folk, more than others less fortunate, have many thanks to give to Mother Nature for what she provides so you maybe one of the many that will never have any of these problems.

----------------------------

I know minerals are good for Koi. I have read how Koi actually eat the clay in mud ponds and this is how they get their minerals since the water in these mud ponds are in the 6.5~7 pH range.

Some plants don't like minerals so much. More hardy legumes and other plants can tolerate the minerals. Hydroponic gardeners often use Reverse Osmis water due to the lower GH. Minerals bind to nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and other nutrients slowing down the acid breakdown process of raw to soluble nutrients allowing the plant to uptake the nutrients. The soil in my area is extremely alkaline, pH 8~9. Most of our trees suffer from severe iron deficiencies due to the alkaline soil binding the raw nutrients. I farm for a living and we often have to add extra volumes of Sulfur to our fertilizers to reduce the alkalinity so that it is easier for all of our crops to uptake the fertilizer and other nutrients in the ground.

Don't get me wrong. Alkaline soil and alkaline water will not stop the production of vegetable and other type of fruits. It just slows down the plant and your yield will suffer. Blueberries will provide average foliage but will rarely produce fruit in alkaline soil/water, but there are alkaline loving berries such as a variety of cherries.

Now, when it comes down to pond plants, foo foo pretty perenials or annuals. I know nothing, heh. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some plants don't like minerals so much. More hardy legumes and other plants can tolerate the minerals. Hydroponic gardeners often use Reverse Osmis water due to the lower GH. Minerals bind to nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and other nutrients slowing down the acid breakdown process of raw to soluble nutrients allowing the plant to uptake the nutrients
Just to clarify, there are a variety of specialized RO, multiple stage filters out there. The simple carbon/sediment filter stage of RO units do not affect KH.

"Some plants don't like alkalinity so much. More hardy legumes and other plants can tolerate the alkalinity. Hydroponic gardeners often use special, multi-stage, Reverse Osmis filters to lower the KH and GH. Alkalinity binds nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and other nutrients in their raw state, slowing down the acidic breakdown process of raw nutrients to soluble nutrients allowing the plant to uptake the nutrients."

Now, I think I will just change my trickle system to compensate for evaporation since I do not want my KH too high.

Yeah, I am going to change my drip emiters so it is only compensating for evaporation instead of doing a water change. I don't need to refresh my KH so much.

Ha! Posting has helped me walk through my thoughts again. I think I am going to keep my overflow pipe to drain old water when it rains, IF it rains. Sounds like rain makes for a good water change.

Heh, please ignoring all my rambling!! ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeah, keep rambling crsu as some of it gets stuck inside our heads for us to think on also!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I get ahead of myself with the idea of wanting to help but often get into trouble; these online forums in general can stir a fella up. So far, no trouble yet so figure y'all are good folk. Glad to find ya. Updated my profile a bit since I may be around for a few. Don't know why I chose such a vague forum tag. Ya can call me Charles. :razz:

Quick correction, since I am still learning and reading this stuff. I have read that the nitrification process uses the KH ions for energy to the bacteria to break down Ammonia. I am also now told that nitric acid is also produced during the nitrification process and this nitric acid consumes some KH as well. Now more reading, heh, always being corrected and learning. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok Charles it is, that's my DH's middle name. Glad you will be sticking around and don't get riled up here cuz we're just of different minds sometimes and guess that's what makes the world go round or life would be rather dull eh? Makes ya think when ya hear all the different ways of doing things. You say tomata, I say tomato but it all tastes the same.........well except the fresh garden ones are the cream of the crop :D

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, don't have to worry about me getting riled up anymore. Definitely in the past, not so much anymore. I prefer to be a self controlled character thats prefers to be different and takes persuasion for me to be like anyone else. Characters are what add to the spice of life, baby!! :pirate2:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok gotcha baby
whiping.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all have different life experiences that has led us down different paths of life which makes us think different, which makes us all do things differently. Some good different, some bad different, but different.

Is that enough differents?

ed2

Reaction score
I've set up a drop irrigation system now. Every two hours 0.85% of the ponds volume is pumped out through a solids handling sump pump. A constant drip system replaces the water plus a bit because I have a small leak in my filter so I have compensated. Basically I am auto changing 10% per day. I have also upped my feeding and I have a reasonable stock of fish.

After a day the water clarity was amazing (added a UVC at the same time!) check my other posts :)

I will feed back my results after a month or two,

Regards

Ed

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those babies don't know how lucky they are to have you making them as comfy as possible! Won't be long till they move to their new home. Hope they and you have a safe trip! Keep us in the loop on their progress please.

ed2

Reaction score
Will do :) I've got to find the heart to get rid of my current fish stock or to get rid of the majority of the babies :/ lol

Ask a Question