j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my that would be hard to choose. No room for another pond huh? Maybe you could borrow some land from a friend to make a pond at their property and you could come visit them and help w/ the care. I just hate to see you have to part w/ them!

ed2

Reaction score
Well this is the dilemma. I have a vortex, 5 water pumps, two air pumps, a 55w and a 30w UVC, a 4 bay filter, an oasis vortec 5 pod filter system and media... Basically I would need to buy a liner, a bottom drain and fit a skimmer....

But my parents aren't having any of it! Lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just say, you want me at home messing with a pond, or out running around with my "friends"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Does anyone have a particular de-cholorinator you like? Last year I just added water to my pond from the garden hose (city water). I didn't have any problems, but am now learning more and would appreciate any recommendations... brand and where to purchase. Our 66" of rain since the first of the year kept the pond full until it stopped raining!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like Dr.Case...my waterchanges are small,and frequent.. basically the water it takes to flush my filter. for the basement pond, i just turn off the pump and open the flush valve. it drains into our sump pump basin, and gets pumped out to the sewer. the whole thing takes less than 10 minutes. i have another 55 gal barrel in the basement that i fill with water and dechlorinate. as soon as its emptied, so it sits for the time ( 4 or 5 days) between flushes and acclimates to the basement temps. this water gets pumped into the basement pond to replace the flushed water. outside, i just i add around 50 gals of dechlorinated water every 4 or 5 days. i just use the same barrel as i use in the basement. with my prefilters, i need not flush my filter but a couple times a summer.... the people who have problems because of water changes. have them because they do too large of a change. frequent small water changes are much better. they cause less stress on the fish. they have less of a "sudden" impact on water chemistry. but water changes do alot of good... they replace trace minerals, and electrolites. they dilute, toxins,tannins,DOCs, and even pheromones that build up in the system. when pheromones build up they can cause aggressive behavior, and even shut down fish immune systems. the heavier the fish load and bio loads the more beneficial waterchanges are.

Ask a Question