These plants just arrived. How should i plant them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Unscented, non-clumping. It will be the most basic, no-frills brand (and cheapest) — just clay. I think my WallyWorld carries a different “brand” from what other stores carry, so check the label.
I'd watch out on that as I noticed some yesterday at walmart that was non odor non clumping and it was not the typical montmorlite clay it was a white man made product. They have changed at least our store up here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got the correct stuff. But all of the plants ate small and should be planted 3" below water level.That puts the leaves under water.

Attachments

• 20181102_155759.jpg
    20181102_155759.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can pull them up until they start to grow if you want. But if that's pennywort, I wouldn't worry one bit. You can't stop that from growing if you tried. Word to the wise - if you see it growing outside of the pond, act quickly!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I plant my irises so the crown is at water level. In my experience if they are any deeper they struggle to bloom. The roots will go deep. I have obedient plant in the edge of my pond and it doesn't creep in, so I wouldn't plant that one that deep either. Pickerel rush will do fine - mine comes up from under 5 or 6 inches of water every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got the correct stuff. But all of the plants ate small and should be planted 3" below water level.That puts the leaves under water.
I always plant my plants in pea gravel in plastic baskets made for ponds. You have to wash the pea gravel well before putting in your pond. Fall/Winter is not a great time to put plants in a pond. I think many of the smaller ones will be too young to survive the winter if your temps go below freezing. Is there anyway you can keep them indoors until Spring?

Ask a Question