Thinking about Winter... I have a question..

Reaction score
JB:

I see you are from Wisconsin. What area ? I'm in Green Bay.
My pond is about 36" inches at the deep end and my fish survive fine through the winter.
I bring my pumps indoors - but everything else stays outside. I stuff a little bubble wrap in the skimmer and drain all the lines as best as I can - especially the bottom drain.
I run a small heater - a floating 100 watt heater - just to keep a small hole in the ice for gas exchange.

Jeff

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
addy1 said:
It never has with mine, when I turn it on in the spring, about 3 - 4 months later the water has no smell when it starts running again. Like the rotten stagnant water stink. A little dirt comes out with the first water flow, but ow good water. Within a day all is clear and clean.
Keep in mind that in Wisconsin, your spring will be 5-6 months later! :cold:
John

Reaction score
I may be one to go against the grain here, but plants and fish survive in the wild without the water parameters and care that we give them, so they should be perfectly fine in our domestic ponds. Some of the lakes I fish are no deeper than the average domestic pond and they freeze over with no ill effects on the fish.

I have not found anything to say that it is beneficial to turn off filters and pumps in the winter, and if you think of it logically, moving water requires lower temperatures to actually freeze as does the surface of water in the pond/lake etc if it is moving (which it would be with the flow from the filter box back in to it) in the same way that for a river to freeze up, it will be the last thing (other than the ocean) to do so because the water moves. Turning the pumps off will allow the water to freeze sooner than one with the pumps on.

Reaction score
VanDiesil said:
I may be one to go against the grain here, but plants and fish survive in the wild without the water parameters and care that we give them, so they should be perfectly fine in our domestic ponds. Some of the lakes I fish are no deeper than the average domestic pond and they freeze over with no ill effects on the fish.

I have not found anything to say that it is beneficial to turn off filters and pumps in the winter, and if you think of it logically, moving water requires lower temperatures to actually freeze as does the surface of water in the pond/lake etc if it is moving (which it would be with the flow from the filter box back in to it) in the same way that for a river to freeze up, it will be the last thing (other than the ocean) to do so because the water moves. Turning the pumps off will allow the water to freeze sooner than one with the pumps on.
Good thought but keep in mind that the water under the ice will be insulated. If the pond is deep enough it could be as warm as 39 or more. If you are flowing water which may bring it to below 32 degrees, which do you think the fish would prefer? I run one small pump breaking the surface to keep a small hole open for gas exchange but the rest of the pond covers over and the bottom stays warmest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a bog and a bio filter. I leave both run all winter. Been doing this for years with no problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
dieselplower said:
... I run one small pump breaking the surface to keep a small hole open for gas exchange but the rest of the pond covers over and the bottom stays warmest.

Dieselplower, where do you put your airstone - on the bottom or hanging part way down?

Thanks

Reaction score
MitchM said:
Dieselplower, where do you put your airstone - on the bottom or hanging part way down?

Thanks
Half the pond is about 20" deep and the other half is about 60" deep. I use a water pump and it sits on the middle of the 20" side so as not to be drawing up the warmer water from the deep end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Michigan can get pretty cold, you don't find that it can still freeze over with just a pump?
I tried a floating 1300w surface heater and it still froze over.

Reaction score
I do nothing for winter prep as far as removal of pumps and filters. keeping leaves out is important and making sure pumps can fast a cleaning for a few months. I hate airstones and never had any luck keeping one for more than a year. somehow snow builds up in the box and the pump sucks it in.... Keeping a pump facing upwards has been the best way to keep a open hole. for the cold nights -10 to -30 the heater comes into affect.

I have actually had the water freeze over where the airstone was bubbling enough to walk on. yea, I get bored and have to test the limits! would have not known if I didn't try it out!

Reaction score
im on the isle of wight in england, i put this pond in during june, for the first time im using an external filter box, do you recommend taking this in when the water starts to freeze, if it freezes of course, our winters have gotten quite warm of late but still have the very cold snaps, my previous pond was a long time ago and it ran itself, no filters, pumps or anything and that was fine

Reaction score
Some of our winters here seem a bit extreme.... My pressure cooker filter is dug in so i rely on ground temp to help out for not freezing. Make sure you have good flow at close to max. I purchased a pre filter and attached it to a line so i can clean it out in the winter w/o sticking my hands in the water, and also use a rose bush poly cover. I havent had an issue yet. This is in a solid freeze area and wish you the best

Ask a Question