This was a surprise! Who would have thought......

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my goodness. Thank goodness your liner is OK. The deer looks like it is really enjoying himself.
I am in the process of tearing out all my flower beds in the front yard because I am tired of fighting the deer. They are so tame in my neighborhood. Quite a few neighbors are feeding them (some of them by hand) and now the deer will walk right up to you.

Nice that you had the camera so you could watch what happened!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's a new one to me. Good thing it wasn't a buck with big antlers. Like the heron it's beautiful but I'd rather it eat elsewhere.

I don't know if a water scarecrow would work but they claim they work for deer.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
AS IF, there were nothing else around for it to eat! I've seen your yard, there's plenty to sustain life without stealing from the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have to much stuff moving all of the time for a water scare crow. It would go off constantly.

I waded in the pond, took a look at the side she climbed out, you can see the coating on the liner is removed in a few places, no indication of damage. No leaks the pond is maintaining level.
She did kick one lily out of its pot, managed to eat, move, or whatever a few small lily starts I had waiting to ship to someone.
I need to wade in a re-pot the one lily, which just happened to be my expensive purple hybrid, do a check on the other side where she first jumped in, make sure nothing else is going on.

Also she came back and ate every re-blooming day lily bud she could reach in the yard last night.

I sprinkled out some critter ridder, works for ground hogs, it says it works for deer, we will see.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good luck and hope she got scared enough falling in like that and won't try it again. Hope the critter ridder helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
We have a pretty good sized herd by most standards behind our place in the woods. It's not unusual to see 20-30 in the fields feeding; but they've never messed with the pond, perhaps the sent of our dogs is enough to keep them outside the fence.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a pretty good sized herd by most standards behind our place in the woods. It's not unusual to see 20-30 in the fields feeding; but they've never messed with the pond, perhaps the sent of our dogs is enough to keep them outside the fence.
My yorkies thinks she is bigger than them! This is a first for me in all the years of ponding here.
We always have tons of them in the back field, the closest they usually get to the house is the apple trees.
Everything is green here, lots of growth, we have had lots of rain, not sure why she needs to snack in the yard and pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe her stumble in the pond, will scare her from trying again.
She is BACK walking in the bog, eating out of the small ponds, eating up the day lilies.
Dear honey shot some bird shot up into the air to scare her, she sure took off. We need her to learn to live in the back field like the rest of the deer.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
After I put the repellant around what was left of my lilies, my 8 brand new roses got chewed down to the stems! Great looking animals but not in my yard!

Ask a Question