This was a surprise! Who would have thought......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Came home today, my lilies are moved around, there are a bunch of floating snapped off leaves. Things just look disturbed.

One of my small loop ponds every lily leaf is missing!

In reviewing the dvr tapes I find the culprit. Watch the beginning and the end utube, or watch them all the little one just keeps eating and eating.........

Now I need to figure out a way to keep it from getting under the net. The poor thing was trapped and fell back into the pond as it tried to escape. Then it came back and stood on the net I am concerned it will get trapped or drown.

The net has to stay due to the heron.

First video.

At around 853 in the deer does a stumble

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's always something with our ponds, isn't it?! Very cute fella :) Could you put rocks on the net where it meets the ground? I suppose deer fencing is an option, but not sure you'd want to go to such lengths.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my goodness! We have deer around here. I knew they might come drink, but I didn't think about the plants. Hmmm. I thought I could perhaps try lilies, but maybe I won't now! Yikes!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my goodness! We have deer around here. I knew they might come drink, but I didn't think about the plants. Hmmm. I thought I could perhaps try lilies, but maybe I won't now! Yikes!
I have had lilies in it since 2010, this is the first deer attack ever. If I did not have to net the pond it would less of a worry. That deer could have gotten totally tangled up in it and drown.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes we have deer that wander through also but I have a wire fence around the bottom of mine that I have attached the bottom of the net to.
They can't push it outta the way cuz it's tight to the wire fence. When I need to go in I just unhook the net from the fence in a spot where I want to enter at,hook the net up to a higher spot so it's not in my way and easy hook back up when done.
IMG_6046.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem I have is, the net rests on the top edge of the slope, the pond is 3-4 feet down that slope. At first it pushed under the net, then walked on it down the slope. Also I have a picture of the deer walking in the bog snacking on the lilies, 15 minutes later, I can just see its head. And it wiped them out of one of the small ponds. I would need to net the entire yard.

I just chased out one that was snacking on my day lilies. Munching on the buds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if you used those U shaped stakes for landscape fabric and staked the part of the net on the hill down to the ground. Problem is it could still walk onto it and get it's legs stuck. I've heard blood meal is a deterrent to rabbits but not sure about deer. You need to stop them from getting under the net so maybe just laying some driftwood or something over where they try to enter under it would work. Now that they have had a taste of the goodies it might be hard to stop them.

Maybe set up movie screen down by the pond of continuous loop of Hillary laughing :LOL:
Well that would sure scare me away :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Oh my, yep might be hard to break that one if he has a fondness for the lilies. Smorgasbord at your house Addy! I would worry too about it getting tangled up in the net. Maybe a hot wire?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
A deer moved into our yard at the old house for about a week a few years ago when she was nursing an injured leg. I guess she felt safe in our yard--no pets, etc. The house is a block away from the forest preserve... She took refuge behind our shed under a tree, and when she got hungry, she ate EVERY flower in the backyard and also stripped the green vines off the chain-link fence! We started leaving her some cut-up apples every morning so she would stop de-foresting the yard. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had a neighbor who insisted on feeding the herd of deer that lived in the woods just off our subdivision ponds. They proceeded to help themselves to every bush, flower and tree they could reach in his yard. He got off the old "aren't they pretty" kick mighty quick after that! They can be destructive creatures, for sure!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We started leaving her some cut-up apples every morning so she would stop de-foresting the yard. :)

There are two apple trees dropping apples they can eat every single one. So far it appears to be just one doe, maybe her getting stuck in the net as she tried to get out of the pond will keep her out, maybe, no visit last night.
So glad I used the ppl36 liner, it is pretty safe from those sharp little hooves. I have no leak from her digging in trying to get out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow Addy! We get deer in the yard all the time. They wiped out my wildflowers this year before I even knew it. They make a deer repellant, small canisters of dried blood that seem to work. I set those out and the next day my Asiatic lilies at the top of my driveway were gone. So lucky that doe didn't drown or rip a hole in your liner!

Ask a Question