Time to think about a pump...

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Tula - the top dimensions of the bog are pretty big, but it actually curves down like a bowl, if that makes sense. So the dimensions of the bottom will be smaller than that of the top. It might LOOK big when it's done, but won't be quite as big (capacity-wise) as it looks.
Will water be entering the bog at the bottom or the top?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Will water be entering the bog at the bottom or the top?
The pipe will need to go down over the top, but will go down to PVC pipes in the bog bottom. This way the water will percolate up through the gravel and eventually flow over the edge back into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go with a higher push on the pump then, the more turns, the smaller pipe and the more obstruction the pump is pushing through, the larger the pump needs to be. You don't want it too big, but this head pressure. Maybe a 2400 to 2500 gph pump. but I am guessing your head pressure, going up 4 ft, plus the depth of the pond - 2 or 3, plus division, and you had 12 linear feet, figure at least 10 ft of head pressure, possibly 15. When you read a pump box it will give you flow at different head pressures.

To circulate the pond at 10 ft by 18 ft (I think) and especially the beach area, you are going to want an ending flow of 1000 gallons per hour at a head pressure of 10 to 15 ft.

This is a good chart. The only Shinmaywa on it that would be small enough for your pond would be the 3300, and that might be too big. But you can see how head pressure works with flow, and even the thickness of the waterfall sheet depending on surfaces.

I don't work for any manufacturer and I don't usually buy from the pond guy, but he does have a great chart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you don't have to send all the water down into your bog. you can split the hose to have one end go to the bottom of the bog and the other half of a Y fitting you don't want to use a T fitting as it will add a lot of additional head pressure. They are not easy to find but if you have to use a T fitting it is not the end of the world . but i would also put a shut off ball valve at each one so you can control the flow to the bottom of the bog and the second to dump out at the falls or even in the pond to help circulate the water preventing mosquitoes and helping to stir up the bottom.

The only thing i wish the video had done was to widen the water falls on the 3 , 4 and 5000 gallon to show how wide a water fall you can have to keep the water flow similar looking on each. i use a 3000 external pump once i break the 12000 gph down just to give some circulation to the pond and bog when the weather is nice after the main pump is shut down. I would bet you'd be happy with 3000 gph for the falls and flow any less becomes a trickle but that is all in what you want for your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hubby just recycled our two pumps boxes, but thinks the one to the bog is in the 2400 range. We have a 1700 gallon pond and the pump to the bog pulls directly from the pond to the bog. We have a 3000 in our skimmer that goes to our sand & gravel filter.........but probably pushes in the 2000 range with the lift and distance.

Our bog is only about 12 inches deep and small...you can see picture of it, it's titles Tula's Baby Bog Build. The water is pumped to the bottom of the bog, percolates up and over back into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Consider the variable pumps Aquascape offers - they have a 2000-4000 and a 4000-8000. That way you can play with the flow! We turn ours up and down every now and again just for fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Consider the variable pumps Aquascape offers - they have a 2000-4000 and a 4000-8000. That way you can play with the flow! We turn ours up and down every now and again just for fun!
Ooooo! I like this idea!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait till you see the price difference for the idea. Be careful i have seen quite a few posts and websites where the remote dies and the pump gets stuck at one setting. And i have never seen where someone used the lower flow very often

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's true @GBBUDD .Our remote did die on our first pump, but they replaced it. They have since changed the design of the remote so we'll see how it lasts. We bought our first pump 8 years ago; replaced it last year after a "professional" put it back in the pump vault for us and didn't put the screen back on. Within 30 seconds it pulled a stone into the impeller and that was the end of that.

We do use the variable flow feature quite a bit though. Sometimes it's fun to just change things up a bit.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pump is pushing 15 years old, but here it only runs summer months. Arizona it ran 24/7 year round.
When I built the pond here just used it, didn't worry about flow etc, seems it works just fine!

Per the amount of water it is cleaning it should be higher flow, but it is doing just fine.

Ask a Question