To clean or not to clean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I live about an hour north of Atlanta, GA and have a approximate 600 gallon pond with a waterfall and stream flowing down the hill into it. I had the pond professionally cleaned completely, draining and everything last year. I have the guy scheduled to come out to clean it this week, but had second thoughts it. Should I have him clean top to bottom or maybe just vacuum really well and clean all pumps and filters. If you can till by my picture, my pond has small rocks covering all of the bottom of it. Also, we will be having rain all next week, would it be better to wait until after that, which would be going into April.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with Tula. Draining and cleaning your pond is essentially starting your pond over every year (not a good thing), rather than following Tula's suggestions. By draining the pond and cleaning it, you are ridding the pond of its established biofilm, and beneficial bacteria on the pond surfaces, which helps keep ammonia and nitrites in check, along with your filter system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Every time you empty, clean, and refill your pond you are essentially starting all over again with a "new" pond. Keep your pond free of debris, clean your filters, check and clean your pump and you'll be fine!

Ask a Question